Microsft announce XNA
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Microsft announce XNA

Microsft announce XNA

This is pretty awesome stuff if you can get past the thought of MS trying to take over the entire gaming industry.

http://www.microsoft.com/xna/

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/501/501...html?fromint=1

Here are three videos from the recent GDC presentation:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...demo_crash.zip
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...o_filmnoir.zip
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo..._xenomorph.zip

They were run in realtime on a next-gen ATi card (R420 or R423 probably). The physics/deformation engine in the crash video is way beyond anything in current games.

MuFu.

my god, so it seems that we are going to go from basically lame damage in racing games to carnage dreams? If those videos truely show the future of driving games, wow

you know i dont really like the fact that this could lead to a huge percentage of future games to be based on microsoft development, its too bad they wouldnt let this be an open source project, its defiantly free in its nature. what am i saying its microsoft......

I knew the open source thing was going to come up right away. IMO it's an argument for Microsoft considering they're the ones giving us this technology. Not that it wouldn't have been created eventually. Maybe they should apply the rules of the pharmaceutical world to the computer world. When someone creates a technology they are allowed to produce it soley for two years, after that time they must open the source to the public although the creator retains the name. This is exactly how the pharmaceutical companies work.

Back on topic...

What does XNA stand for anyway? Did a somewhat complex search and couldn't find it anywhere. Don't have the time to read that whole ign article now...

Judging from the helix motif on the MS site, I suspect the name XNA is a takeoff of DNA, not an acronym in its own right.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

From that IGN interview:

IGN: So how do you do that?

J Allard: The initiative that we're announcing is called XNA. The "X" represents that it's a cross-industry initiative that's rooted in two technology sources from Microsoft. One is DirectX, one is Xbox. The Xbox was grounded in DirectX from the beginning. That's our heritage. The "N" is next-generation. Our view is that software is the fuel for the next generation. While hardware advances are going to happen, the most important and significant advance is going to be in software. The "A" is for architecture. How do all the tools plug in to one another in a way that allows the designers to take the best tools, assemble them into a pipeline, add specific things that they want to add into that pipeline and get going with confidence that that's going to stitch together well. It's more like LEGOS and less like cutting down your own timber and trying to make your own notches fit together.
    Hopefully the anti-MS brigade can look past their preconceptions on this one. It's a good initiative - loads of games are developed using DX and MS development tools already. This is just a push to massively streamline the process.

Speaking of awesome car damage, there's a video trailer for FlatOut available:

http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/fla...easer.zip.html

MuFu.

cheers its downloading now.
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

WOW! that flat out video looks great! now that is somthing to look forward to!
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

hey! fall '04? thats already a year ahead of the last time i checked its release date, nice.

As dreamy as that game looks, that XNA demo 'flat-out' crushes flat-out's physics and graphics..... well, at least that game is going to be out soon! Honestly, i can already name that game my favorite, they would have to extremely hack that code to make that demo a bad game

Holy crap, if the XNA graphics are better than the Flat-Out graphics.

It makes BF and NHL look like crap.

by the look of the demo and article, an XNA developed game will balls-out kill any game to date..... a true leap into the future aimed for virtual world gameing

Well considering it will be well into the future before we actually get to see anything more than a few demos. This is really early. Kind of like hearing about Doom3 four years ago. Technology will have progressed a ways by the time products are being released. Basically by the time it's really being used we won't be comparing it to products of today but rather more advanced products three years from now.

indeed. but the article did say this was running on a ati prototype card.............

i wouldnt be surprised in two years that most games look like movies, and you control the characters

Thread Information