Phantom F drive
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Phantom F drive

Phantom F drive

Hello. Its me again. This time my problem is a phantom drive on a fresh Win2K install. Under my computer, i have my C drive (HD), D drive (DVD Burner) and my E drive (DVD ROM). I also show an F drive. It is labelled "Removable Disk F". I dont have a removable disk on the system. When i go to the properties it shows a size of 0. How do i get windows to correct itself and remove this phantom drive? Thanks.
    P4 @ 2.4G, MSI 648 Max L, 512MB PC2100 DDR, 80G WD HD with 8MB Cache, NEC 2500A DVD Burner, Norcent CDRW, 19" MAG Monitor, Antec TRUE330, Audiophile 2496, ATI Radeon 7500.
    P3 @ 800MHz, 120G WD HD, 384Mhz RAM, Toshiba DVD ROM, Panansonic CDRW, 15" Nokia Monitor, 32MB Diamond Viper II.

You sure there's no CF/SD/Memorystick/etc reader on the system? That sort of thing shows up as a removable disk.

Apart from that, the easiest way to make it disappear is to right-click on My Computer, click Manage, then browse to Disk Management. Then right-click on the F: drive in the bottom half of the window and click Change Drive Letter And Paths.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

also, some cd/dvd copying programs by default create a virtual drive (for mount ing image files and emulate cd's).

Originally posted by athi
    also, some cd/dvd copying programs by default create a virtual drive (for mount ing image files and emulate cd's).
    Nero ultra is my cd/dvd copying program. Does Nero do this phantom thing? If it is indeed Nero, is it safe to rename/remove it?
    P4 @ 2.4G, MSI 648 Max L, 512MB PC2100 DDR, 80G WD HD with 8MB Cache, NEC 2500A DVD Burner, Norcent CDRW, 19" MAG Monitor, Antec TRUE330, Audiophile 2496, ATI Radeon 7500.
    P3 @ 800MHz, 120G WD HD, 384Mhz RAM, Toshiba DVD ROM, Panansonic CDRW, 15" Nokia Monitor, 32MB Diamond Viper II.

yes, nero does have the option to creat a virtual drive. you can rename it with the disk managment tool or remove it with the nero installer.

Thanks all. I followd the advise on this page and removed the drive letter. It does not show up no more. However, after my computer starts, the "A" drive is engaged for reasons unknown and makes a grinding noise for about 3 seconds. I have disabled floppy seek at bootup in the BIOS so i dont know why the "A" drive is being engaged.

Check your boot order. You may still have the diskette in the sequence. I tend to leave other peoples machines set for "C Only", and my own for "CD; C"
    Free advice, and worth every penny.

Thread Information