Computer restarts when burning cd's
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Computer restarts when burning cd's

Hybrid View

Computer restarts when burning cd's

Hi guys,

can you help me out?? my computer restarts every time i try to burn a cd. My cd burner always worked fine until now..

The problem is that when the a open 48x cd burner is preparing to burn there nothing wrong when he's getting to burn the first thing my computer spontaniously turns of and restart (looks like it costs too much power).

Can you guys give me an answer to this problem??

Thanks!!

Welcome to Hardware Central.

It would help to post the computer's specifications. Is the cdrw original or was it added later?
    Last edited by DanceMan; February 19th, 2004 at 08:09 PM.

Does it work as a normal CD drive just fine and only do this when you try to burn? Try reinstalling the burning software. If that does not work, then try unplugging a few non esentials like case fans, leaving the side panel open.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Its a self build system, i recently formatted it. The cd-player function does work.

My system, xp 2400+ 512meg ddr333 120gig 7200 rpm seagate hd etc. mobo is an ecs k7s5a or something like that

Thanks for your reactions,

btw todd i already cut of the power of the most case fans so....

Okaayyy, an ECS K7S5A.

Here is a forum that contains a lot of information on your board:

http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwb/ulti...ubb=forum;f=35

One of the things you'll learn there is this board likes to have a good power supply. You're using a 2400+ and a good amount of ram, possibly a power hungry video card for gaming? Could be your psu is marginal for this system.

Todd a asked you to pull the side cover off to eliminate temps as an issue. You could install MotherBoard Manager to monitor your temps.

What board rev. do you have, and what's your bios version? There have been lots of bios upgrades for these boards, some for timing and stability issues.
    Last edited by DanceMan; February 24th, 2004 at 02:43 PM.

using Nero?

I know that Nero has an option to show down PC after burning. GOD ONLY KNOWS why they offer that. So even if you aren't using Nero, it could be a preference in the CD-burning app you're using. If you just can't seem to figure it out, i recommend you uninstall the application and find another.

Could be a software issue, too. Just a few weeks ago, I accidentally made a minor misconfiguragion on my laptop and the mofo would BSOD or spontanously reboot every time windowsloaded.

And, man, it was years ago, but I'd swear I had this *exact* same problem with my 4x CD-R in win2k (where it would reboot upon drive initiation) that I fixed by hacking in adaptec's drivers that weren't included in either win2k or my CD-R drivers because of some liscensing problem. What OS are you running?
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

Thanks for your reactions guys!!

I think i found it out. I bought a new psu a 550Watt that should be enough.... ;-) and i installed nero instead of easy cd creator... the burner is working again...

Thanks for your replies!!

I didnt know that you could oc with this board.. .so that will be my new project..

Originally posted by AMD 2400
    I didnt know that you could oc with this board.. .so that will be my new project..
    You must have found the Cheepoman bios at OCW.

hi,

yes i found the bios.... but how do you flash it??? If anything goes wrong i can throw my mobo away so i want to be sure to run the right procedure..

Looks like you weren't the only one wondering:

http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/u...=004153#000002

You need to make that boot floppy in a 9x system like 98SE. In the format box, check the option "Add System Files". In DOS, it's
    A:> format A: /S <Enter>

Good luck.
    Last edited by DanceMan; March 2nd, 2004 at 07:28 PM.

Re: using Nero?

Originally posted by armageddon
    I know that Nero has an option to show down PC after burning. GOD ONLY KNOWS why they offer that
    i think its for people who dont like to leave their computer swiched on all day they can burn a cd and go to work and leave it then when they come back their cd will be done and computer swiched off.
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Re: Re: using Nero?

Originally posted by Martin_89
    i think its for people who dont like to leave their computer swiched on all day they can burn a cd and go to work and leave it then when they come back their cd will be done and computer swiched off.
    12x and 40x drives pretty much made that feature obsolete, though
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

Originally posted by AMD 2400
    Thanks for your reactions guys!!

I think i found it out. I bought a new psu a 550Watt that should be enough.... ;-) and i installed nero instead of easy cd creator... the burner is working again...
    Update your Easy Cd Creator to the latest verison. It will stop the reboots.....if you are using WIn XP. Ver.5.02 or later if I remember correctly.
    Barton 2500+ @ 230*10.5
    Abit NF7

Watercooled w/ #Rotor block

2x256 Corsair XMS PC3200
    Radeon 9700 Pro
    Hercules GTXP
    120GB Seagate Barracuda
    Antec 1080B w/Antec 430W

I disagree. Keep Easy CD far away from your system.

Thread Information