Prescott Cooling?!?!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prescott Cooling?!?!

Prescott Cooling?!?!

I ran across a picture of Intel's new BTX boards at Anandtech here:

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1976&p=3

This is a MicroBTX board based on the Grantsdale chipset. I thought that was a pretty small heatsink on the CPU and they had removed the fan off of it. Well that was actually the rather large heatsink on the chipset. Well that was no real big deal, but were is the CPU? All I see is a large black box at the top that is likely the new BTX power supply... but wait... that large box IS THE CPU HEATSINK. They are pushing to have a large fan at the back (and possibly front) and have it blow throw a channel to cool the graphics card (which is a PCI Extress at the top edge of the board). It looks like it is a large heatpipe running strait up from the core with fins the size of CDs on it stacked up to the top of the case. I bet system builders are not too happy with the expensive cooling requirements for this blast furnace of a CPU that Intel has created.

Here is a larger picture:

http://www.anandtech.com/showimage.h...rapup/btx1.jpg
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

yea that heatsink is rather small i would have even expected it to be copper.

that seems to be all the examles coming out, hopefully thats it ready to start being released.

that tyan dual cpu board looked nice!
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

The thing about that board is those cool looking round heatsinks weigh a pound a peice and are mounted through the motherboard and into the case. That prescott BTX heatsink is just hugh. If you look at it closely the fins are all copper discs. The thing must weight 2-3 pounds with a shroud and 120mm fan by the looks of it.

The board does look pretty cool though other than that. It has integrated graphics and 6 sound jacks for 5.1 suround. It also looks to have coaxel out and TV/RCA, 4 USB, plus an extra header (or 3), 4 SATA, NIC, PS2... posibly FireWire. I'm wondering if that is a PCI-X x16 in the back or a slot for a riser card with some more PCI-X x16 and x4. One thing I did notice also is that the power connector is a 24 pin connector (instead of the standard 20 pin ATX), plus it still use the extra 4 pin right next to the CPU.

Humm I also missed there is another half to that board. There are 2 PCI slots and one IDE header, so the other one is likely a floppy. I'm also trying to figure out what the thick cable is that is plugged in next to the southbridge. I think the cable layout sucks. Power right next to the graphics card along with all the drive headers blocking the airflow channel for the CPU. The other bumber is they do not show the voltage regulators in either picture. I'm wondering if they are going to use a 4 phase one now.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Originally posted by Martin_89
    yea that heatsink is rather small i would have even expected it to be copper.

that seems to be all the examles coming out, hopefully thats it ready to start being released.

that tyan dual cpu board looked nice!
    d00d, that was the northbridge! The CPU heat sink was the gigantic friggen black box obscuring nearly half the mobo!
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

haha I had to look at that a few times, I thought the northbridge sink was the CPU heatsink too. Then I scrolled over hahah

Originally posted by grover
    d00d, that was the northbridge! The CPU heat sink was the gigantic friggen black box obscuring nearly half the mobo!
    Yes very funny indeed!

I've also heard rumours that these CPUs are dieing fast under heavy voltages. The leakage on these things must be horable at high speeds and increase voltages would be very bad. I really think this CPU is a design nightmare and Intel is doing everything they can to fix it. Their paper launch is pretty bad. I've only seen the 2.8E so far and the 3.0 and 3.2 I have not seen at all. It has been a while. I also thought it funny that Dell anounced a P4 Extreme addition desktop, but no Prescott based computers are planned yet. I guess they whould rather stick with the one that can still use their cheap power supplies and substandard case/CPU cooling than have to change everything to keep Intel's blunder working.

The Inquirer is saying Intel will completely phase out the whole P4 line in 2006 (about 2 years). They have a new Pentium Mobile chip they are working on that is a completely new core (they said that for the current one too and it is basically a rehashed P3). This efficiant and cool running CPU is supposed to be 20-30% faster than the currant Centreno CPU, which already smokes the P4 (clock for clock that is). When they remove some of the power saving features and crank up the voltages, they are hoping to be able to up the speed considerably and take on the K9. The current P4 core just cant take it. It is too inefficiant and these higher clock speeds they wented for for marketting purposses is causing too much trouble.

The Northwood core was never ment to hit 3.4Ghz and the Prescott core was supposed to be much cooler and be running at 4-5Ghz by the end of the year. Intel has slipped on launch dates and speeds by quite a bit on this one. This new BTX standard and massive cooling is costing the system builders too much of there very slim margings. Think about, you now need a better heatsink (+$5), a better power supply (+10), a better cooled case (+$10), better motherboard (+$10) and larger fans (+$5). Man if Dell had to chop ~$40 off the proffits of every P4 system they sold just to switch to the Prescott core that is no faster than the currant P4, they would start selling AMD systems. I bet if Intel actual;ly started shipping these things in quantities, they will have to lower their price to offset the extra expenses needed or they will loose a chunk of their OEM market.

I wonder how many engineers have been fire over this blunder!
    Last edited by Todd a; February 25th, 2004 at 09:48 PM.

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    That is a heat pipe.

Similar to this one it would appear but with copper plates.

Gonna need a bigger case too to fit that thing in.

Where is the fan? Is there meant to be one attached to the chassis that blows across / through it?

Originally posted by Oliy
    Gonna need a bigger case too to fit that thing in.

Where is the fan? Is there meant to be one attached to the chassis that blows across / through it?
    Yep, that's the point. BTX is a new form factor design that will require a new case, a new power supply (I think) and is designed from the start with cooling in mind. The idea is to place a single fan in the front with a heat-channel, that gives the processor the coolest air from the front of the case and places the video card, north bridge and RAM directly in line with the air flow. In this way, a single case fan will be able to cool the entire case, fixing a lot of the chronic problems with ATX.
    Last edited by grover; February 26th, 2004 at 04:39 PM.
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    No doubt. Look where the HS for the AGP card would be. Nice.

The fan is built into the front of that shroud. It looks like a 120mm one.

ol' man
    I've seen that heatpipe befor and I think it only uses an 80mm fan so not only does it use copper instead of aluminum, but it is also 50% bigger in hieght and width. This thing is hugh. Likely it will also be a thermally controlled fan that will scream under load.... oh wait, it's a 120mm one, so it will roar, not scream!

http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-008537.htm

Intels Prescott needed thermally advantaged cases. I know from experience allowing cool air in to the fan from outside the case is a good idea when using air cooling.

http://www.arstechnica.com/news/posts/1077691448.html
    The Pentium M
    Last edited by evetsrim1; February 27th, 2004 at 12:02 AM.
    Technology increases at a parabolic curve upward.

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...ists/53211.htm

The above link updates the case for drawing cool air into the side of the cpu case by means of either removing the inner side panel or a hole. Makes logical physics sense. I use a $8 dryer vent duct to draw the cool air in which works fine along with a sound enclosure surrounding the computer case which works as well for these times.
    Last edited by evetsrim1; February 28th, 2004 at 11:47 PM.
    Technology increases at a parabolic curve upward.

[QUOTE]These chassis were tested at an ambient room temperature of 35C with the following peripherals installed./QUOTE]

Intel recommends that you use a chassis that can maintain an internal ambient temperature below 38oC
    Seems a bit harsh to expect a system to be able to keep the case temp below 38C when ambient is 35C. Who has a room at 35C anyway? I'd be cooking!

Oh, come on. That's only a little over 100'F. My house gets up there in the summer if I don't turn on my little window airconditioner. Not everybody uses airconditioning and Intel has to be able to make system that can run at those temps.

My AthlonXP 1600+ runs so cool. I have a cheap cooler mod'd with an 80mm fan. All case fans and CPU fans are 2500RPM 80mm fans (about 34CFM). My chipset is at about 1'C over room at idle and the CPU sits at about 5'C. Under load it goes up about 2'C chipset and 10'C load. I keep it in the basement so it tops out about 23'C chipset and 38'C CPU.

I want to see some temps on this 55w Athlon64 3000+ and 90nm ones too. I don't think they are going to be running 100+w right out the door.

Thread Information