Asus A7v333 & 9600se
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Asus A7v333 & 9600se

Asus A7v333 & 9600se

Well, I've tried the normal installation; removing current drivers, turning off computer, removing old card, putting new card in, changing BIOS to accept AGP and nothing. So, I went to the ASUS Site and the ATI Site and found the required upgraded drivers. I did what they said (I believe) and nothing. Is there anyone out there who's had trouble putting these two together and succeeded? I know it can be done, but I can't seem to figure it out. I booted into Safe Mode where I attempted to install the newest Catalyst and the newest drivers but I continually received a message saying I needed to attempt the installation with a Standard Display Adapter, but I already had one installed. I have Windows '98, but the Windows ME drivers are supposed to include 98 drivers and/or just work for '98. I've been trying to install this card for weeks and I'm really hoping someone can help me. I don't want to get an FX5600 XT Ultra, but if I can't get my card installed where else should I turn? Thanks for reading and if there's any other information I can offer, please ask.

Doug

AMD Athlon 2600XP Barton core
    Windows '98
    ASUS A7V333
    512 mb pc2700
    ATI Xpert 128
    SB Live!

Set the video to standard VGA, then reboot. This pretty much removes any old drivers and sets it to the standard Windows drivers with no hardware support. After rebooting Windows should detect the new card and want to install the drivers.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thanks for replying, Todd. Well, you would think Windows would detect the new card and want to install the drivers, but it just isn't working. The card is for WinXP, 2000, or ME, but the ATI site says the XP (or is it ME, I forget this moment) will work for '98SE, which is what I have. I've downloaded the drivers, tried to install them, but they wouldn't install because it said that I need to have a standard vga driver installed, which I did. Strange things are afoot with these three combinations; ASUS A7V333, Win '98SE and the Radeon 9600SE card. After a great deal of research, it seems there are many people having the same issues, but I have yet to find any kind of coherent solution. I do appreciate your response and will give it another try. After changing video drivers and while rebooting, I assume I should first go into the BIOS and change settings for an AGP card, correct?

Doug

Thread Information