February 16th, 2004, 06:51 PM
New Video Card ???
I need some suggestions as to upgrading my system.I am presently running an ABIT KG7 mainboard,AMD Athlon XP 1600+,512MB DDR RAM,a Sound Blaster Live ! value sound card,and a Gainward GeForce 3, 64MB vid card ,running XP home.What I am thinking about doing is changing vid cards to a Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro-128MB.Questions-is this a quality card?I can get it for about $220 on NewEgg -is the upgrade of the card alone feasible?What do you all think ????
February 17th, 2004, 08:22 AM
its a very quality and fast card and better picture quality than nvidia
February 17th, 2004, 08:34 AM
It would improve overall performance, however buying a cheaper card such as a 9600pro and upgrading you cpu may give better gains as your cpu could be holding you back with a card like the 9800 so you wouldnt experience the full effect
A64 3000+ at 3.2ghz
1gb OCZ Plat 2
DFI NF4 Ultra-D
Regassed prommie with R507a
Ah the new updatedness of my sig.
February 17th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Thank you for the replies! I think I will see what CPU I can run on this KG7 and maybe upgrade CPU and the 9600 pro card.
February 17th, 2004, 06:10 PM
judging by BIOS update page it supports "Thoroughbred up to 2000+", however since it also supports "Palomino up to 2100+"
I would say get 2100+ and combined with Radeon 9800PRO, it should make for quite viable upgrade, considering that getting better CPU would mean ditching your mobo and ram
you should be safe with R9800: "Fixes the incompatibility issue where ATI Radeon 9700Pro fails to boot up with a certain power supply unit ", but upgrade to the latest BIOS before upgrading
maybe someone can tell you, for sure that is, if KG7 accepts higher clocked Tbreds
One thing to check is your PSU,underpowered system could be quite unstable, good 300W PSU, would probably be enaugh, however if you want to be on a safe side you might wanna look towards new one
only thing I would suggest going by my recent experience is Antec True power
February 17th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Yes,I just finished searching the net and just about reached the conclusion that I may have to get another Mainboard;really don't want to go there yet.I will look into the CPU upgrade and the card you suggested.Thanks !!!
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)