Slow boot and now a fast boot.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Slow boot and now a fast boot.

Slow boot and now a fast boot.

I took 2000Pro off of my Dell Pent III, 500 mhz 256 ram lappy and reformatted with XP Home. Now instead of 2 1/2 minutes to boot, it is now booting in 1 1/4 minutes. What gives? I figured that XP would boot slower than 2000 Pro. It is the Home edition though. I bet XP Pro would slow things down right?

How long was 2000 pro on the machine? I bet the fresh install has much more to do with the faster load times, rather than the OS change.

it depends how long 2000 was on the machine. i find XP a better os anyway alough i dont have much experiance with 2000.

xp pro and xp home have no difference in loading times their really the same os.
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

It was on for about 6 months. No files or folders on this pc. Only used it for Internet. Used Sybot, Adaware, Spyware Blaster and regclean to keep it tuned,, no viruses too.
    Thanks
    JB

One of the design goals with Windows XP was to significantly cut boot times so that they were on par or better than Windows98's boot times. I've found that with a new install of XP, this is the case, but over time the boot screen seems to last longer and longer. My Windows 2000 install on the other hand may take 10 seconds longer to boot, but the boot time has stayed consistent for the last four months.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

With the black vipers service tweaks, it is booting at 56 seconds now.
    I can't drive 55!
    Last edited by jonny b; February 10th, 2004 at 10:38 PM.
    Thanks
    JB

40 sec from post to desktop.... i actually found XP to be great in boot times, often much faster than 98, well... one maybe because i have a system 3x the speed, and two 98 likes to choke on its own data way too quick.....

well im having the problem that i have the thread on in the motherboard forum and that is taking me an extra 10 secs
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

I used to use XP home but something went wrong and i couldn't reinstall it when i formated, Iam now using Windows 98SE and it takes long when booting.

Is there any kind of configureing that could be done in BIOS or windows to fasten up bootup? I dont want to try it out without some advice because i might mess it up!

Any help would be great!!! I remember once that i mess around with BIOS on my cousins laptop and the when i try to restart the laptop a message came up at bootup saying that there was a failure in bootup.

It took me 48 hours to figure out what went wrong

Msconifg. Find out what you really need. I only use about 5 items there.
    Thanks
    JB

Originally posted by Salih15
    I used to use XP home but something went wrong and i couldn't reinstall it when i formated,
    That seems very odd
    CPU: Athlon X2 7850 Blackbox edition o/c'd to 3400mhz
    Motherboard: Asus M2N68-AM SE2
    Memory: 4gb Kingston KVR RAM
    Video: BFG Geforce gtx 260 oc v2
    Hard Drives: 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, 500GB WD, 320GB WD, 320GB WD 250GB WD, 250GB Seagate
    Case: APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel case
    Power Supply: OCZ 700W StealthXStream Power Supply
    Optical: 22x LG DVD R/W

mmmmm.. eather pirate software, bad cd rom drive or u scrached the disk

Well to be honest it was an backup copy, when i first installed xp it was great and it was working ok too, But i formated one day and when i tryed to install xp home all files was successfully installed.

But a file was unable to be installed, Iam not sure what it was called i think it was something like ntd.ll iam not really sure...
    When i clicked on retry and it just wouldn't install that file.

So i click skip file then the installation finished and when i try to bootup a message came up saying something like ''Error 0xxx732bla-bla-bla''

It didn't even start windows the message was coming on DOS, Oh as for msconfig i went on startup and disabled some stuff, Could anything go wrong with my bootup now?

Because iam to scared to restart or shutdown my computer in case it wont startup at all!
    If something does go wrong and my computer wont startup because i disabled some stuff from startup at msconfig would i be able to startup in safe mode?
    Last edited by Salih15; February 17th, 2004 at 03:52 PM.

yes their is no problem it would let you boot up in safe mode.

Thread Information