in need of new PSU, maybe Chieftec 420W
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: in need of new PSU, maybe Chieftec 420W

Hybrid View

in need of new PSU, maybe Chieftec 420W

I need a new PSU, something with a stronger 5V line

got suggestion on the forum that it could have coused R9800 being undervolted and producing artifacts under full VGA and CPU load, something I would definitely like to remedy

currently 32A on my Enermax, also 5V line is dropping close to allowed 5% deviation when CPU is running on max and probably well bellow with Radeon starting to work

I can get Chieftec HPC-420-302 DF
    review at THG
    5v .... 40A
    and 3.3v+5v is specified at 185W by Enermax and 220W with Chieftec

I guess I could get Antec True power, however only 480W is close to the 40A specs for 5v line and the price is a bit more then 150$ compared to about 80$ (tax incl.) for Chieftec
    BTW I am not from US and good PSUs are quite expansive here

so as always any suggestions greatly appreciated
    Last edited by F_A_L_C_O_N; February 15th, 2004 at 05:50 PM.

The only thing is Enermax I have now has 26A at 12v whereas chieftec only has 18 A

how important is 12v line on Nforce2 and lets say for future upgrades, something in the line of AMD64

Yah. I think you would be taking a step backwards in quality. Those Cheiftech power supplies are pretty cheap. Have you tried upping the I/O or AGP (they used to both be under I/O but newer/better boards have seperated them) voltage in BIOS if avaluable (this might help, might not). Just up it a little bit.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I haven't heard good things about the Chieftec PSU - people seem to think that they're El Cheapo in terms of cost and quality.

How about the Fortron sourced Seasonic Super Silencer 400W - it has a pretty solid output across all rails or the Nexus 3500 :-

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article131-page1.html

Power outputs are kinda misleading accordingly the following article (which you a degree is physics and rocket science to understand):-

http://www.short-media.com/article.php?130.0
    Last edited by davidstone28; February 16th, 2004 at 02:39 PM.
    Athlon XP 3200+, TT Silent Boost (its rubbish as well as loud) Gigabyte nForce2 mobo (stable but lacks tweaking options), GF4 Ti4200 128mb, Lian-Li V2000

OK thanks Chieftec is out then

BTW I did what you suggested Todd a combined with pluging the fan from my new GPU cooler directly to PSU - pluging it to the cards fan header as manual suggested was stupid I know

I like the article you posted davidstone28 and yeah you right , wish I read that article, before I bought Enermax, Antec was just a bit more back then

However now I am a bit confused isnt 5v line powering CPU and AGP on Nforce boards

anyway I see my main problem, Enermax I have is only rated for 185W at 3,3 + 5v
    I always thought thats about enaugh, but after reading the article
    davidstone28 posted even the less power hungry system they had, comes rather close to my limit
    I am quite sure that with XP OCed as it is,512MB ram and R9800PRO I am hiting 185W quite hard

I ll just have to splurge on Antec then since unfortunately Fortron isnt available around here
    Last edited by F_A_L_C_O_N; February 16th, 2004 at 10:20 PM.

You are probably pretty much over that 185w. The graphics card probably pushes 50w and that CPU is likely over 100w overclocked like that. Then add memory, motherboard, hard drive, CD/DVD, sound... and a few USB devices and you are way over. Someone on another post had a site that would calculate your computer's power usage and mine was just over 300w total. I'm guessing you are over 350 with that CPU.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

just ordered Antec 430W true power - didnt want Radeon to get damaged so I ordered one ASAP

3,3 + 5 + 12 is 410W that should be enaugh I guess

Wish I could get 480W but all internet shops that are able to deliver in a day, were out of stock and 550W was more then I am wiling to spend on a PSU - you dont wanna know the price of that one

another option was 450SL, but from what I read on this forum True power is a way to go with Antec

get a thermaltake silent 480...they are decently priced and are very good..

I think you've made a good choice. I've got the single fan version of the True Power 380W PSU. Here's what Antec have to say about the True Power range compared to their Smart Power range:-

"...The main difference is that the Truepower power supply has voltage rails that are independent of each other. This means that a max wattage output is possible for each individual rail. So, the concept of combined voltage does not apply to this particular power supply. Additionally TruePower features Voltage FeedBack circuitry which allows TruePower to adjust the voltages at the ATX connector. This helps maintain system stability."

I think all whole issue about power outputs and PSUs is just half-truths, smoke and mirrors. Anyone will tell you that a high quality 300W PSU is far more stable and 'powerful' that a cheapo 10 generic no-brand 400W PSU.
    Athlon XP 3200+, TT Silent Boost (its rubbish as well as loud) Gigabyte nForce2 mobo (stable but lacks tweaking options), GF4 Ti4200 128mb, Lian-Li V2000

Actually changed the order to Antec 480W true power, they come on Wednesday and I figure I can wait one day for extra 50W with little increase in price

I will even get those blue glowing fans with it

tx again for that link davidstone28 , it really opened my eyes as far as Enermax goes

I re-checked some reviews from the past and realised, while not saying Chieftec or Enermax are bad PSUs and even giving them good marks, they will however never get into the recomanded catagory, now isnt that odd

Dont get me wrong this Enermax isnt bad PSU and much beter then 400W Maxpower I had before, its just way overpriced, since I could get 360W Enhance for about half the money back then and probably enjoy similar performance

Todd a since from the looks of things I am getting the same PSU as you have in your sig, how much does yours heat-up, do you have any manual control over the 2 PSU fans or is temp control doing the job

No my fans are all thermally controlled. They run at a VERY quiet. The two fans are running at 1630RPM under light load and the highest I ever saw was about 1900RPM under heavy load during the summer. The air coming out is only slight warmer than the air coming out my rear case fan just below it (maybe 5'C).

The only thing I have noticed is that the 12v rail runs a little low (about 11.85), but I think this is more do to the sensor on my MSI K7N2Delta-L board as the voltages were normal on my Epox 8KHA+ (ran about 12.05). I've never had stability problems with it and the voltages NEVER fluctuate from load (which my old TTGI 270w power supply did). The 5v and 3.3v rails are right on the mark. CPU voltage is much more stable too than with my old PS.

thanks sounds good

Yup Truepower 480 rules

no blue leds , but one can not have everything, right

it does have SATA connectors though
    it is also a lot cooler,then Enermax, but that was mostly due to overstressing it I guess

most importantly it hold its voltages, to the point of thinking BIOS screen has freezed if you look for changes

5V is at 4.99 and droped 4.97 during Prime95, thats all

if I set CPU to 1.65 it holds at 1.68 like there is no tommorow (MB probe reading, could be its actually 1.65 or Epox is overvolting CPU, which after overclocking default FSB wouldnt be unusual, I guess), it used to jump up and down for something like 0.03 all the time

so I am happy
    Last edited by F_A_L_C_O_N; February 19th, 2004 at 09:34 PM.

Did the artifacting with your 9800 disappear?
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Thread Information