Need to repaint plastic bezel: What paint / vinyl dye to buy in the UK ?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need to repaint plastic bezel: What paint / vinyl dye to buy in the UK ?

Need to repaint plastic bezel: What paint / vinyl dye to buy in the UK ?

I would like to repaint my bezel fascia from cream / yellow to black to match the rest of my case.

However, I am not sure what type of vinyl dye / paint to buy and where to buy it from in the UK. Apparently, metal / wood spray paint doesn't work very well and you need a plastic paint / vinyl dye with a primer.

Could someone give me some specific product names / places to buy from in the UK?
    Athlon XP 3200+, TT Silent Boost (its rubbish as well as loud) Gigabyte nForce2 mobo (stable but lacks tweaking options), GF4 Ti4200 128mb, Lian-Li V2000

Clean the surface good and lightly sand with a fine sandpapaer. Wipe down good. Most recommend automotive primer and paint. The paint should be aplide in 2-3 thin layers (this makes it even without drips). Light sanding between the layers is good. A protective clear coat on the outside might also help. Then you can polish and wax it if you want.

Of course I didn't use primer and I used a Rustolium Hammered Metal green paint on my case (sort of dull metal-flaked dark green paint). I used two coats (30 minutes between coats) and it turned out pretty good. I waited a full 24 hours to let the paint cure a bit befor assembling the case again. It does scratch, but not too easily and after about a year now, none of the paint has worn off the power, reset, or CD eject buttons.

Here is a picture of my case:
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

davidstone28, just move to Canada, and you can buy it at any Canadian Tire.

I've done one this way. Wiped the plastic down with alcohol first to remove any grease or oil. When quite dry sprayed several coats. Since it's lacquer based, it was just a minute or so between passes.

Seems to have come out well, but hasn't been used yet so durabillity is unknown. The Canadian Tire product wasn't called "vinyl dye" but was specifically for vinyl. The vinyl dye was not carried by most automotive parts places locally.

davidstone28, have you had a look in B&Q or Halfords?

I just buy car paint from the loca automotive shop... seems to stick to almost anything, especially the tarmac outside
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

Danceman - how about you send some over to me free of charge as a gift for a fellow HWC forumite?

AGW01 - no I haven't really looked because I've been told you need a vinyl dye paint for good / long lasting results. Apparently you can use any old paint but unless its the right type, it will degrade over time (plastic gives off certain type of fume which degrades the wrong type of paint) or won't stick properly etc so I would prefer a specific recommandation from someone for a specifc brand / place to buy. Besides, I wouldn't want things to go wrong and my pc ending up looking like Todd A's green monster!
    Last edited by davidstone28; February 11th, 2004 at 04:57 PM.
    Athlon XP 3200+, TT Silent Boost (its rubbish as well as loud) Gigabyte nForce2 mobo (stable but lacks tweaking options), GF4 Ti4200 128mb, Lian-Li V2000

Originally posted by davidstone28
    Besides, I wouldn't want things to go wrong and my pc ending up looking like Todd A's green monster!
    Hey! What is wrong with my green monster? The only thing I had problems with is the metal flakes did not always spread even and sort of "pooled" in some spots. I also ran out of paint and was not able to use a 3rd coat that I really should have done (or the second coat inside the case). If I did it over I would have saved the extra paint I used on the inside and used it for the 3rd coat outside. I then would have painted the inside a differance collor like black. I also rushed it quite a bit. I only let it dry for about 5-10 minutes between coats (which likely is what caused the metal flecks to pool).

The Rustoleum is actually pretty good paint and says it does not "need" a primer and works on vinyl, wood, metal, and plastic. It is also pretty easy to find and not too expensive (automotive paints are usually quite a bit more). I actually wanted something like that color, but with gold flakes. Their regular metalics had silver flacks. The "hammer Metal" looked closer, but was a bit duller than I was looking for. It was late at night and this was the best I could find (and yes this stuff sticks to concrete really good too ).

So I'm cheap and lazy. The case still turned out pretty good considering it was an 8 year old case that I spent $22 on (and came with a 250 ATX power supply too). I spent $40 on the window kit, dual cold cathodes, LED fan, case badge, fan grill, and paint. $40 was money well spent for something that looks like this, considering it is my #4 computer (of 6) and was my first custome paint job!
    Last edited by Todd a; February 12th, 2004 at 12:15 AM.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Todd A - It's green. I rest my case.

I bought a can of plastic paint from the autoshop and practiced on a 5.25inch plastic bezel. Unfortunately the finish is not particuarly great - the paint goes everywhere and its difficult to apply it evenly and in small doses (its a big spray can and designed to cover big areas).

Anyway, someone PM'd me a nice little guide which you can find here:-
    http://www.7volts.com/paint_drives.htm

Dunno, if I can be bothered to find a small air spray etc.

I've got a beige with tri color LED fans and red cold cathode, black with purple lights, and my green case. I'm thinking the next one will be either a dark red (possibly a metalic) or a metalic blue and silver two tone. I'm leaning toward the dark red. I need to figure out a design for the window on the side as I want a fancy cut one it instead of a rectangle plain window. I might do green lighting and maker it an AMD logo since after I upgrade my main machine it will house the MSI K7N2Delta-L and AthlonXP 1800+ from my main machine (overclocked to 1.837Ghz of course). Of course I also have myt silver and black laptop and stock E-machine (533i that will likely become a Linux box).

Oh and this is how bad the case looks right now. I got it without the side panel (free), but the guy I got it from found the side pannel (still waiting for him to bring it to work some day). I have a chunk of Lexan cut to cover almost the whole side panel, so I can be flexible with the cutout design.

Originally posted by Todd a
    Oh and this is how bad the case looks right now.
    Todd, that's the same case my son used to have and my daughter has now! I drilled out all the holes on the lower front of the bezel, just slightly larger but following the same pattern of decreasing size. If the side panel never shows up, you could use the lexan or plexi and either paint the edges or add metal strips if the plastic is undersize.
    When you drill plastic, you need sharp drill bits. A dull one will heat up and melt the plastic slightly, leaving a raised lip around the hole.

I talked to the guy again and he does have it. He just keeps forgetting to bring it. It took him about 3 weeks to remember to bring the old system in the first place. Very usable parts. An Abit BH6, Celeron 366, 256MB SDRAM, TNT2 Ultra, and Sparkle 250w power supply in this junk case. The vent in the back had tiny holes and was only about 2"x2", but he had a fan slapped over it anyways. The front metal behind the bezel had a larger 3"x3" spot for a fan, but the holes were just too small. The system was built for overclcoking practically, but he said it would overheat at 500Mhz, so he eventually gave up on overclocking. He even started running it with the side panel off (which is why he couldn't find it). I cleaned it out and cut holes for the fans in the front, back, and power supply. I added wire fan grills in the back and PS. I then replaced the crappy little heatsink with a Global Win FOP32-1 mod'd with an 80mm fan on top. The case and CPU stay VERY cool now and it overclocks to 550Mhz without a hitch. It will run RtCW: ET, but not CoD.

I'm thinking of another case mod, that is MUCH more envolved, but I need to check on a few ideas. Have you ever watch American Chopper? That might give you an idea of some of my thoughts for this mod. If I can get some of the parts I'm thinking of for not too much it should be pretty cool looking and will house my Athlon64 that I am planning on getting this fall.

Thread Information