High pitch noise when running software CPU coolers.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: High pitch noise when running software CPU coolers.

High pitch noise when running software CPU coolers.

Hi,
    I am running an Athlon 2600+ @ 2.34 on an Asus A7V8X-X KT400 motherboard. Temperatures are bit too high : idle 56C under load 60C , have 2 case fans and a Coolermaster Aero7+ copper HSF. So I donít think I can get the temps down a lot than this by air cooling. So I thought of trying out some software coolers like CPUIdle, VCool, CPUCool etc.

All of the tools seem to cool down the CPU quite good, some even cools down to as low as 42C ! thatís amazing. But when I run them, a high pitch noise (like the noise you get when using an old monitor with high resolutions that it doesnít support) comes from inside the casing. I donít think itís the HSF (cos I have a speed control and no mater how much I change the speed of the fan, noise stays the same even though the HSF noise changes). And I cant pin point where its coming from. A friend of mine who has a KT400 board also confirmed this high pitch noise as well. But I ran these apps on my old Athlon 900MHz (AMD 756) , no noises there , but still it cools that CPU 5 ~ 7 C.

Any one has any ideas ? Iím afraid to run those tools because of the noise. Can anyone with similar configuration to mine (KT400) try this and confirm it ? Thanks.
    Last edited by Hasitha; February 16th, 2004 at 09:39 PM.

Common problem. There are supposed to be some settings in the BIOS that can help the problem sometimes. A do know my KT266A motherboard had the issue with my SB PCI-128, but worked fine with my SB Audigy.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I have a Sound blaster Live, so as my friend who also gets that sound. From where is this noise coming from? I just canít think of anything that could make such a noise, as I heard most of these applications make the CPU go to sleep on its idle cycles. So how can that make a noise?. BTW the CPU core voltage increases a bit and the 5V and 12V lines drop a bit when this happens.

Thread Information