Case and PSU recomendations
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Case and PSU recomendations

Case and PSU recomendations

Hello,

Over the past few weeks I have been searching for a new video card. Now that I think I have it narrowed down I found out that the ones that I want require a minimum power supply of at least 300W. I have a 250W PSU. My question is that since I have a generic Gateway tower, should I go ahead and buy a new case/PSU combo, or just a new PSU? This will be my first Computer that I have tampered with so I am unsure as to any benefits that you may gain by doing this. This is unexplored territory for me so please forgive my ignorance in this area. Oh, my intent with this is to eventually have a system that I can upgrade and not have to buy a whole system once one piece of it become obsolete.

Antec if you want a quality case and a good power supply. They have many models, but their True Power power supplies are the best right now.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Buy the graphics card and try it with the existing PSU - it will probably be fine. Don't forget that Shuttle SFC can run Radeon 9800 cards using a 250W PSU, so I would be surprised if you had a problem (unless of course you are also running lots of drives, CDROMS, fans etc etc)

If you need to get a case / PSU combo, I'd suggest the Antec 3700BQE.
    Athlon XP 3200+, TT Silent Boost (its rubbish as well as loud) Gigabyte nForce2 mobo (stable but lacks tweaking options), GF4 Ti4200 128mb, Lian-Li V2000

check out the xsonic xtreme a28k cases. they have a 400w psu, two extra case fans, an LCD temperature display and LEDs. dunno what the website is.

i was running the system in my sig with a 230Watt PSU. but i think it would be a good idea to get a New case and Antec PSU just for reliability so you dont blow the psu and it takes all the components with it!
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Thread Information