how far can a 2.4 533fsb go??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how far can a 2.4 533fsb go??

how far can a 2.4 533fsb go??

i currently have my P4 2.4Ghz cpu at 3.2Ghz. How far have people taken this chip and what voltages and cooling???

wrathchild_67 has the highest clocked 2.4 that i've seen - over 3.6ghz. Is it a 2.4C you have? Those have the best chance at overclocking.

Oliy

thats an insane overclock. i tried mine at 3.4 before at normal voltage 1.525 and it stopped just after the winxp screen. it said it must shutdown to prevent damege to hardware. should i try it at a higher voltage or would that be suicide?? i have a quality cooler on it. mine is a 2.40B. whats the difference? arnt there 2.4Gs aswell? why is the 2.4C the best for overclocking?
    Last edited by Muzwa Kai; January 28th, 2004 at 07:52 AM.

Yeah it's pretty impressive, maybe send him a PM or something to find out exactly how he did it.

The C refers to the stepping I beleive, the more alphabetically advanced the letter, the more recent the stepping. I havn't seen a G variant however, that might refer to something else. I think the C steppings have hyperthreading.

As long as your temperatures are within reasonable limits I don't think you can really do much damage, so it should be fine to increase the voltage - just dont do it too much, and do it in small increments!

i think the C's are best at overclocking as I said it is a more recent stepping, the process is more mature and yields are higher, especially at higher speed grades, so your 2.4C may have passed the test at 3.2 but simply been marked down to supply demand in the market for the excellent value for money 2.4

Oliy

is the 2.4B chip a Northwood?

my cpu runs at 41-45 deg celcius. that should be fine to go more hey.
    Last edited by Muzwa Kai; January 28th, 2004 at 09:03 AM.

Yes, that will be a northwood chip.

Are those temperatures for idle or for full load on the processor? If that is idle then they are a bit high. I know AMD's tend to run a little hotter but I'm at 57C full load right now and it's fine.

im new to temp monitoring, how do you check the temp under load. i have asus pc probe. do u just alt tab out of a game and maybe have the pc probe running already, or is there a proper test?

i just did a small test to see the temperature difference between 2.4ghz and 3.2ghz, same voltage. they are the same temp at idle.

yeah play an intensive game for a while, (something that is CPU, not graphics card, dependant) or use an app that is cpu intensive, and see what your temps are according to temp probe. consider motherboard monitor 5, you should be able to google it.

Oh trust me, this 2.4c could go even further than that if I had better cooling and a few other choice OC'ing mobos to choose from. 3.8Ghz would probably be possible with a better mobo, and 4.0GHz would be possible with a better mobo and better than aircooling.

But you mentioned you have a 533MHz fsb 2.4. That may use a different stepping than mine which is technically referred to as D1. If you download a program called CPU-Z, it will show you the stepping revision below the Intel Pentium 4 label. Since you've made it to 3.2GHz, I'm inclined to believe it's a D1 like mine. If you've bought the chip very recently and taken it to 3.2GHz without increasing vcore, there's a very good chance it's a D1 stepping. In which case, you should be good for 3.4GHz on default voltage. My motherboard undervolts the core voltage, so default on mine is about 1.45v instead of 1.5v. I have to increase the vcore to about 1.55v to get it stable at 3.6GHz.

[edit]The 'B' you see after 2.4 really refers to the fsb of the chip and not the stepping. The first Northwoods on a 400MHz fsb were referred to as 'A's.' My 2.4 is a 'C' because it is an 800MHz fsb w/HT version. But the technical stepping of the chip is D1. The original 'B' 533MHz fsb processors had a C0 stepping I believe. Confused? Intel may have started making 533MHz bus versions using the D1 stepping.
    Last edited by wrathchild_67; January 28th, 2004 at 12:10 PM.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

just put the voltage as high as it goes and play away lol! just wach the temps thats what a do
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

does everyone agree that it is alright to max out the voltage. i always use to with my old celerons for extra stabilty. they were 300@450 and my second computer now 700@1050.

my voltage settings go from 1.525 to 1.850. should i push it all the way to 1.850 if i need to????????

try putting it up to 1.6 or 1.65 and see where it gets you. you might hit a limit other than voltage and there is no point putting that much juice across your processor if it's not going to get you anywhere. if your temps are low enough and you want to go higher, then try increasing it again. your processor will fry if it draws too much current.

it booted into windows at 3312mhz but caused an error seconds after i started a ut2003 botmatch benchmark. i stepped it up to 1.625v and it ran the botmatch fine. i ran another one and it stalled half way through. how high can the temp go. mine was pushing 56 deg C under load. (during NFS Underground, not UT2003). i might just leave it at 3.2ghz for now. maybe try something like 1.8v to 1.85v at 3.4ghz some time. or maybe its just the fact that deep down im just looking for an excuse to buy a new cpu and motherboard. any opinions on what i should do?
    Last edited by Muzwa Kai; January 29th, 2004 at 07:19 AM.

Thread Information