new CPU HSF
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new CPU HSF

new CPU HSF

well im thinking about getting a new CPU HSF for my barton 2500 when i get it soon. so what do you recomend, low noise is a MUST and low price would be a bonus looking for good cooling though as im an overcker. one thing though it must come with a thermal pad or paste applyed as i just cant do this, i know that sounds weird but i just cant lol.

looking at THIS coolermaster HSF with 80MM Fan but im not sure if 29DBA is quiet?

Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Why can't you apply thermal paste?
    Athlon 64 2800+
    1xWD 1200BB, 1xMaxtor 200GB SATA
    Asus K8N-E
    2x512MB Corsair XMS3200
    Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
    Radeon 9800 Pro, Dell 1801FP - WinTV Theater
    Sony CRX320E Combo Drive, Pioneer A04
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro - Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical
    Win XP Pro SP2

The ceramique stuff is much easier to apply than most - perhaps you'd be fine with that?

I'd recommend the SLK800 with a 92mm fan. Friend's got one and loves it to death.
    Opteron 165 @ 280x9 = 2.52GHz
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    Corsair 2GB DDR400 Dual Channel
    Seagate Barracuda 200GB SATA
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

Be sure to factor in whether you want a quiet fan, something normal, or a performance fan like the Tornado
    2.8C@3.10 | IS7 | 512MB GEIL Golden Dragon PC4000/512MB Kingston Value PC3200 | 9700 pro | TBSC | Altec Lansing 251 | WD 120GB SE | Sony DRU-500A external DVD burner | Lite-on 52X CDRW/16X DVD

well im just useless at applying the paste.

well i definately want silent, or at least quiet but id like some performance.
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

It's easy, start with just a speck of paste and dab it on the core with your finger (make sure you wash your hands thoroughly first to minimize oils from your skin getting into the mix). As you progress and keep holding it to the light, you'll see tiny areas of exposed core shining back. Continue doing this until you can no longer see a shine from the core when holding it to the light. This ensures an even distribution of paste, complete coverage of the core, and a minimal amount of paste is used.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Originally posted by wrathchild_67
    It's easy, start with just a speck of paste and dab it on the core with your finger (make sure you wash your hands thoroughly first to minimize oils from your skin getting into the mix). As you progress and keep holding it to the light, you'll see tiny areas of exposed core shining back. Continue doing this until you can no longer see a shine from the core when holding it to the light. This ensures an even distribution of paste, complete coverage of the core, and a minimal amount of paste is used.
    I tend to fancy an old floppy's metal clip, myself.
    Opteron 165 @ 280x9 = 2.52GHz
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    Corsair 2GB DDR400 Dual Channel
    Seagate Barracuda 200GB SATA
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

awrite, the coolermaster stuff i had came with a little card and told me to apply it to the heatsink, so os it best to do it on the core?

The only paste I've ever had to apply to the heatsink is Nanotherm PCM+. It's basically a liquid that dries into a waxy substance. You also have to put it on the core as well. If the coolermaster stuff is just regular paste, you can get by putting it only on the core.

For the Nanotherm, I use the included 'spatula' because I don't want to touch the stuff. But with pastes, using your finger to apply it is fine. Just make sure to have paper towels around.

This seems like a terrible idea to me.

Martin, applying thermal paste isn't hard. I use a razor blade or credit card.
    Athlon 64 2800+
    Asus K8N-E
    2x512MB Corsair XMS3200
    Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
    Win XP Pro SP2

I have a Thermalright SK-6+ with an 80mm YS-Tech Silent fan. The fins on my SK-6+ have been spread out, so that they are the right size for the fan.

With the low amount of airflow through my case (all fans on 7v), my temps are 40ºc idle and 47ºc full load. This is in a mildly warm room with the side panels on.

I would recommend the SLK-800 or 900, I'm definately going to get a 900 eventually, although the SK-7 can be had for dirt cheap on OcUK. Thermalright know how to make great heatsinks... my SK-6+ is a prime example... It's cooling a Barton 2500 @ 2.1GHz (pretty crap OC)

Oh, to spread thermal paste, I either use a flat-headed screwdriver or the heatsink from one of my Voodoo3 3000's.
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

Originally posted by wetling
    This seems like a terrible idea to me.

Martin, applying thermal paste isn't hard. I use a razor blade or credit card.
    You obviously haven't done it then.

Well it isn't exactly difficult, it's just messy. It can also have terrible end results if you use Arctic Silver and don't notice any spillage's
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

You obviously haven't done it then.
    Nope, I prefer to do it right.

Clean the mating surfaces completely with a low residual solvent (High-purity isopropyl alcohol or acetone will work) and a LINT FREE cloth. (i.e. lens cleaning cloth) If another thermal compound has previously been applied to the heatsink, the mounting surface should be thoroughly scrubbed and cleaned with a xylene based cleaner, (Goof Off and some carburetor cleaners) acetone, mineral spirits, or 99% pure isopropyl alcohol. It is important to keep the surfaces free of foreign materials and NOT to touch the surfaces (a hair, piece of lint, and even dead skin cells can significantly affect the thermal interfaces performance, especially on modern small core CPUs as the surface area is already severely limited). In addition, oils from your fingers can adversely affect the performance by preventing the micronized silver fill from directly contacting the metal surface. (Fingerprints can be as thick as 0.005")

Directions
    Athlon 64 2800+
    Asus K8N-E
    2x512MB Corsair XMS3200
    Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
    Win XP Pro SP2

Funny, my way works just fine and it gives me lower temps than what would be expected (especially when compared to hsf and past reviews online). Don't talk out your *** unless you've tried it and can say it doesn't work.

Thread Information