AAAAARRRGGGHHH.... Still confused... - Page 3
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: AAAAARRRGGGHHH.... Still confused...

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    39.4834 N 87.3261 W
    Posts
    658
    That seems like a pretty decent improvement for 3dmark 2001. In the reviews I've seen with that benchmark, there isn't a lot of difference between a 9500np and a 9500pro. Therefore, unlocking your card shouldn't see too much of a difference in that test either.

    Do you have any other benchmarks readily available? Something like unreal tournament or aquamark might show the difference between the 4 pipes and the 8 pipes better.

  2. #32
    ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    9,664
    Originally posted by RDX
    That seems like a pretty decent improvement for 3dmark 2001. In the reviews I've seen with that benchmark, there isn't a lot of difference between a 9500np and a 9500pro. Therefore, unlocking your card shouldn't see too much of a difference in that test either.

    Do you have any other benchmarks readily available? Something like unreal tournament or aquamark might show the difference between the 4 pipes and the 8 pipes better.
    My scores went up 2000 points in 3dmark with the softmod.

    Here is a default 9500 vs 9500 softmod.

    both cards are clocked at 275/270


    Here is my 9500 softmod OC'd vs 9800 pro underclocked. ALl clocks are the same. I had to overclock my 9500 softmod cause my 9800 would get artifacts if I clocked it lower than around 300MHz.

    clocks for both cards are at 390/310.


    One must keep in mind that a r350 core has a higher IPC than the r300. A 9700pro and a 9800np clock at the same speeds the 9800np will them all as far as I have seen by around 1~3% or better.

    I have been busy tonight. Here is what I have done to my radeons.






  3. #33
    ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    9,664
    Enabling the other 4 pipes made the score go up 2000 points in 3dmark but enabiling the 256 bit bus would make it only go up 1000 points.

    It is better have 8 pipes than the extra memory bandwidth.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    39.4834 N 87.3261 W
    Posts
    658
    Nice cooling there ol' man! So what do you think of unlocking the 9800se? Natiels 9800se with 8 pipes gave him a 13.4% performance increase over 4 pipes. You got a 18% performance boost by softmodding your 9500. Considering other factors, such as him being moderately more CPU limited than yourself, these performance increases are comparable. It looks to me like the only thing really holding the unlocked 9800se back is its lack of memory bandwidth. If you look at the 9500 vs the 9800se the, the core speed difference is over 100mhz; the memory difference is only 30mhz though.

    The 256 bit 9800se sees such a big performance jump going from 4 pipes to 8 is because it has tons of memory bandwidth (680 ddr 256-bit). The core is the limiting component on the video card. Dramatically increasing the pixel throughput by doubling the pixel pipes gives you a much larger percentage performance boost compared to doubling the pipelines on a memory limited card.

    As you and Natiels demonstrated, moving from 4 pixel pipelines to 8 is really nice; but at those core speeds, the card is starting to become bandwidth restricted.

  5. #35
    ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    9,664
    Originally posted by RDX
    Nice cooling there ol' man! So what do you think of unlocking the 9800se? Natiels 9800se with 8 pipes gave him a 13.4% performance increase over 4 pipes. You got a 18% performance boost by softmodding your 9500. Considering other factors, such as him being moderately more CPU limited than yourself, these performance increases are comparable. It looks to me like the only thing really holding the unlocked 9800se back is its lack of memory bandwidth. If you look at the 9500 vs the 9800se the, the core speed difference is over 100mhz; the memory difference is only 30mhz though.

    The 256 bit 9800se sees such a big performance jump going from 4 pipes to 8 is because it has tons of memory bandwidth (680 ddr 256-bit). The core is the limiting component on the video card. Dramatically increasing the pixel throughput by doubling the pixel pipes gives you a much larger percentage performance boost compared to doubling the pipelines on a memory limited card.

    As you and Natiels demonstrated, moving from 4 pixel pipelines to 8 is really nice; but at those core speeds, the card is starting to become bandwidth restricted.
    Yeah but the memory will still not bottle neck the card. Here is my new rad9500pro @ 410/300. Notice what the xtra 20MHz core speed does for the score vs. the 390/310 rad9500 softmodded. I have a couple of my cas timings set tighter too right now which may account for some of the increase.


  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12
    Woah, was that bench done on the same PC as the other ones? with just that 20mhz core increase and a drop of 10mhz on the mem you went up almost 3000 marks. That is almost 2000 faster than the 9800 pro was at 390/310. You should try that again with your cas timings set back to what they were for the original tests and see what the score is. I wonder what would happen if you put the bios from that 9500pro into the older softmodded card. Maybe it would make a big jump. If that is the case then we know the bios is holding things back.

  7. #37
    ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    9,664
    Originally posted by natiels
    Woah, was that bench done on the same PC as the other ones? with just that 20mhz core increase and a drop of 10mhz on the mem you went up almost 3000 marks. That is almost 2000 faster than the 9800 pro was at 390/310. You should try that again with your cas timings set back to what they were for the original tests and see what the score is. I wonder what would happen if you put the bios from that 9500pro into the older softmodded card. Maybe it would make a big jump. If that is the case then we know the bios is holding things back.
    Sorry forgot to add that the 9800 vs 9500 softmod was doen with the 2.4c CPU @ default speeds also with slower memory timings. I probably would get around 18000 with the 9800pro at these speeds.

    I suppose you want me to run the test @ 390/310 with the 9500pro @ default speeds

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12
    I suppose you want me to run the test @ 390/310 with the 9500pro @ default speeds
    It would be interesting to see but i am guessing it would be quite similar. Extra CPU/ram speed seems to really give a boost to 3dmark01 so that pretty much explains that latest score being so much higher.

  9. #39
    ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    9,664
    I got 13,962 with the 9500pro @ 390/310. Pretty much the same.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12
    cool. Thanx for testing.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •