please comment on my gaming pc specs - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: please comment on my gaming pc specs

About buying a HDD- you should always look for something with a less than 1:1 dollars to gigabytes of storage ratio. 40GB drives are the cheapest to buy, but have a very poor $:GB ratio. An 80-100GB would have amuch better ratio as you generally pay less than $1 for every GB the drive has. I haven't seen any 40GB drives for $40 or less. They're usually $50-60. Just my 2 cents.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Originally posted by wrathchild_67
    About buying a HDD- you should always look for something with a less than 1:1 dollars to gigabytes of storage ratio. 40GB drives are the cheapest to buy, but have a very poor $:GB ratio. An 80-100GB would have amuch better ratio as you generally pay less than $1 for every GB the drive has. I haven't seen any 40GB drives for $40 or less. They're usually $50-60. Just my 2 cents.
    Yeah, that's a good point. I think a 60GB is only $15 more, and a 80GB is only $10 more than that, so perhaps it is a better idea to buy as much as you can on that $:GB ratio. I only suggested it because I have been fine with my 30GB for more than a year and it is full of music and programs. I am running out of space now but luckily I've got a 60GB lying in wait 'til I can buy a better power supply and put it in my rig.

Long gone are the days when they said you'd never be able to fill up a 400MB drive...
    Opteron 165 @ 280x9 = 2.52GHz
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    Corsair 2GB DDR400 Dual Channel
    Seagate Barracuda 200GB SATA
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

I went ahead and made the purchase on all the parts, I just got the case today. I stuck with buying the mobo combo and will plan on selling the mobo on ebay or somthing. The hdd I have a rain check for... It is 80GB Maxtor (i believe its maxtor) from office max after rebates, for $20 +tax.
    the cdr drive will just be one of my older cendynes that I probably got for $10 after rebates.
    the memory will come as soon as i see some rebates for that too.
    the monitor will be a used 17 that ill get from a friend for $35.
    keyboard and mouse will come from officemax also.
    with all of that said, assuming my rebates will all be accepted, it will be very close to $400 and I still have the mobo to sell.
    thanks for all of your guys' advice and help. I think this will be a nice pc for him to be able to upgrade for a while.
    thanks again,
    Stephen

Thread Information