LCD screen parts used on a desktop??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: LCD screen parts used on a desktop??

LCD screen parts used on a desktop??

Hey all,

I just had a though and was wondering if this is possible. I dont know much about LCD screens (from laptops) but I was wondering if these screens can be outfited with a 15 pin plug similar to a standard 15 pin SVGA cable. I'd like to use my dual screen with my standard screen and a LCD like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...category=42188

Just wondering what this screen can be used for if I didnt not have the exact laptop it cam from. Are all the screens the same? Can they be used without a laptop?

Thanks!
    For fellow Canadians ONLY:

Visit Canada's Air Miles Online Shopping Mall - YourShops.ca
    Earn AIR MILES on every purchase!
    All stores ship to Canada!

Anyone have experience or knowledge in this field??
    For fellow Canadians ONLY:

Visit Canada's Air Miles Online Shopping Mall - YourShops.ca
    Earn AIR MILES on every purchase!
    All stores ship to Canada!

My experience is that you will run into huge problems trying to get the right power to the screen. I considered doing the same thing with an old laptop that I inherited but soon realized that it would be impossible for me (some people could probably do it). There are probably ways of getting the ribbon cable (generic term) that runs from the screen to the motherboard on the laptop to become a 15 pin but you also have to consider the power issue, as they don't sell adapters for just laptop screens! Even finding the operating voltage and amperage on a screen would be difficult in and of itself, and if you don't have it right then the the rest is fubar.

If you do take a shot at it and find out a way, I'd like to know!
    Opteron 165 @ 280x9 = 2.52GHz
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    Corsair 2GB DDR400 Dual Channel
    Seagate Barracuda 200GB SATA
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

Laptop screens use a different signalling protocol to desktops (LVDS). You'll need an RGB=>LVDS (essentially an ADC) converter or at the very least a TDMS=>LVDS transcoder. I guess you could always buy a grpahics card that supports LVDS output but most that do are pretty expensive.

Start Googling.

MuFu.

I always though it would be really cool to just stick an LCD into the right-hand side of a case, and have the entire PC right there in one unit. The only problems are supplying both, and trying to have enough support and some adjustability at the same time.
    Opteron 148@2805(255x11-1.4v)
    Stock cooling(until I get a water block)
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    1GB PC3200 OCZ Gold EL(2-2-2-8-2 1T 5:6 Divider)
    Sapphire X800GTO2(520/580 - Unlocked 16 Pipes)
    Antec TruePower 550 vmodded
    2x Western Digital WD-1200JS(RAID0)
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

here is an interesting one on psone lcd's, don't know if it pertains to you but:

Link

The LCDs that are for things like DVD players in cars are pretty good for that mod. They run about $85-110 for ones in the 5.6-7.2" range. They are powered of a 12v feed and use and RCA connection. You can just use the TV out on any graphics card and make molix connector for the power. They only draw something like 6w so they are a good shoe-in in most systems. Some come in a finished case and others are the raw screan and need a bit more work to make it look good. Some also come witha small stand and speakers built in and could work as a small TV sitting on you desk like a mini monitor for watching movies on. They really are cool and I likely will getting one after tax returns (if I have any money left over after replacing my furnace).

I mean this is a great deal. You can get a 7.2" wide screan TV-LCD with a remote and built in speakers and a headrest bracket for $106.99. The specs I found said 7.2w or less and has a max resolution of 960 x 240:

There are tons of them out there. Just do a search for car LCD and you will find tons of them. I'd like to see a small 5" display that is a true LCD monitor that can do 800x600 resolution, but the cheaper TV LCDs are all I can find. There are some specialty OEM displays for things like machine readouts, but they tend to run into the $1000s, but are sometimes touchscreans too.
    http://www.carmobilevideo.com/product/MV7SC
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Man I almost want to order one right now, but I likely would want it as a case mod and not a standalone, but my case is not big enough to put a 7.2" widescrean LCD up front. Those 5.6" ones might fit, but would not look as cool. I still might break down and get one anyways (of course I have been saying this for about 6 months now).
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information