Geforce FX 5900 running WAY TOO HOT!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geforce FX 5900 running WAY TOO HOT!

Geforce FX 5900 running WAY TOO HOT!

Hola folks. I just got this Fx 5900 today. I plug it in and install the driver and go immidiately to the control panel and view the Heat sensor and it says 70C! I am getting low 70's when Idle! Under load I am getting Over 100C. I am not getting any artifacts or shut downs/glitches etc... When I touch the card it doens't seem all that hot. Warm maybe, but not really hot.

I can't figure if it's a bad sensor or what, but it's really scaring me. I would hate to burn up this brand new card.

Currently it's not OC'd. I don't know what to do. The Fan is working fine on it. It's not a problem with my case because these temps are reached even with the side of my case off for extended periods.

Any idea why it's running this hot or some way to tell if it's just a bad temp sensor?

Thanks!

Feel the back side of the core. If that is 100'C you will feel it.

Also you can look to make sure the heatsink is making good contact. If the heatsink is easy to remove, you might make sure the thermal grease is covering the entire core or the heatsink it not warped.

It could be the thermal sensor is wrong, but I'd hate to find out the hard way. These cards do run hot, but I've only heard of about 70-80 full load.

If you open the case and blow a fan in does the temp drop. Maybe your case cooling sucks. did you leave the PCI slot next to the AGP slot open so more air can get in? Maybe you need a slot cooler to blow air over you cards like I did a few days ago here (PS I cleaned the dust out after I saw how bad the dust was in this picture ):
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Yah the core feels a tad hot, but it doesn't like burn my fingers or anything.

This card takes up 2 slots, the AGP slot and the PCI slot next to it so I can't afford to give up yet another PCI slot.

I don't think it is a problem with the box cooling. It runs at 70C+ right from boot up even with the case open and all the fans running. I am worried that either the card is damaged or the sensor is misleading.

Which make/model of GeForceFX 5900 you got and is it an Ultra, XT, or standard version? If it takes up a second slot already it likely is an Ultra version (do to the higher core/memory speeds).
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Standard 5900...no Ultra or SE/XT extension. It's made by eVGA. It has 400mhz core and 850mhz memory stock.

This one?

Likely it is either not reading it right, the thermal grease/pad is not applied correctly, or the heatsink is not attched correclt or damaged/warped. It looks like there are about 6 pins/screws holding it on. If they are easy to remove, you might check it out. eVGA is not what you would call a top of the line manufacturer. It could be the heatsink is not making good contact.

my 5900 runs at 43C idle and 50C after gaming and that pic looks like a ASUS V9900 (FX5800) to me!
    The RiG
    P4 3ghz
    2gb ddr 400
    256mb X800XTPE
    Enermax Coolergiant
    amdduron800@hotmail.com

Originally posted by Todd a
    ........... (PS I cleaned the dust out after I saw how bad the dust was in this picture ):
    Heh, I was going to offer you a can of compressed air after looking at the pic. That is a simple but effective cooling solution you have there

Also Arc, is THIS the card you have?

Last edited by Burnt Powder; January 1st, 2004 at 06:41 PM.
    Current System
    - Antec Nine Hundred
    - Q6600 G0 Stepping @ 3.0GHz
    - Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
    - Corsair XMS2 (4x1GB) PC2-8500
    - eVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    - PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad
    - Enhance Technology Quadrapack Q14SS
    - HP Smart Array P400 SAS/SATA Controller w/ 512MB BBWC
    - 4 x 72g 15,000rpm 2.5inch SAS Drives @ RAID5
    - 2 x 750g 7,200rpm 3.5inch SATA Drives @ RAID1
    - 2 x LG DVD±R Burners
    - Hanns·G HH-281HPB 28" Display
    - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit w/ SP1

Looks just like the one I show above. Got it off NewEgg here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...alog=48&depa=1

NewEgg always has nice pictures of the products. They even have a picture of the manuel and CDs, a strait on picture of the cards, another picture of the S-Video cable and DVI to CTR addaptor. They also include a picture of the box just to make sure (and look, they match ):

Of course the one off eVGA's web site is $279 and the one at NewEgg is only $225 (and comes with a coupon for Call of Duty). Not too shabby. I've seen some of these for as little as $184 for the eVGA ones (including a sale at NewEgg a few days ago.

Yah that's the one. I got it from Newegg for $216 I think. I am probably gunna RMA it and swap it for another one. This one may have gotten dagamed some how.

If it's running without problems then it does sound like a problem with the sensor/sensor software. If it were actually hitting 100C this definitely wouldn't be the case (although I doubt it would be physically damaged at that kind of temperature).

Get the latest drivers if you haven't done so already. You might be able to fix this kind of problems with a BIOS flash, heatsink re-installation etc but it's probably best you return it as it is technically faulty.

MuFu.

Yah I returned it yesterday. I did the BIOS flash and Looked at the heat sink and didnt see any obvious things wrong.

I will be shocked if the new one runs at the same temps.

I called eVGA adn their tech support said "Ohh it's fine if it runs at 76C-100C". I found that to be a load of BS. Several people have said theirs run at 40C-70C max. So it's obviously a defunct card, but no way was eVGA gunna send me a new one.
    Last edited by Arc; January 4th, 2004 at 11:57 PM.

Keep us posted. You should have it back in about two weeks. NewEgg is pretty good on returns.

Ok, good news, I just got my new one and the Idle temp is at 48C. So the card was definately damaged.

Good to hear.

Thread Information