Replacing a Dell power supply
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Replacing a Dell power supply

Hybrid View

Pin outs Dell Power supply - Help

A friend of mine has a Dell unit that needs a new ATX power supply. Can I install an Antec power supply in this case or is there something proprietary about Dell power supplies that won't let me do this? The Antec power supply has all the same connectors but the P7 connector for the MB has slightly different tabs that won't allow it to plug into the MB.
    Last edited by surffisherman; January 9th, 2004 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks for all the prompt replies!

This is the info I found on my own for anyone who might read this thread.

Dell proprietary (non-standard) ATX design

If you currently own or are considering purchasing a desktop system from Dell you will definitely want to pay attention to this section. There is a potential booby-trap waiting to nail the unsuspecting Dell owner who decides to upgrade either the motherboard or power supply in their system. This hidden trap can cause the destruction of the motherboard, power supply or both! OK, now that I have your attention, read onů

It seems that starting after September of 1998 Dell defected from the cause of industry standardization and began using specially modified Intel supplied ATX motherboards with custom wired power connectors. Of course they also had custom power supplies made that duplicated the non-standard pinout of the motherboard power connectors.

An even bigger crime than simply using non-standard power connectors is that only the pinout is non-standard, the connectors look like and are keyed the same as is dictated by true ATX. There is nothing to prevent you from plugging the Dell non-standard power supply into a new industry standard ATX motherboard you installed in your Dell case as an upgrade, or even plugging a new upgraded industry standard ATX power supply into your existing Dell motherboard. But mixing either a new ATX board with the Dell supply or a new ATX supply with the existing Dell board is a recipe for silicon toast. How do you like your fried chips, medium or well done?

ahh gotta love Dell

Yes, you have to be careful with replacing Dell PSU's. Essentially, they are the same PSU's, just in a different pin-out. You could either buy a Dell PSU, or buy a standard one, and buy an adaptor to re-align all the pins (this would be the cheaper option I'd imagine). You mustn't plug a standard PSU into a Dell mobo, or things will start to fry.
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Originally posted by surffisherman
    Thanks for all the prompt replies!
    Profuse apologies for not sitting here continously monitoring this board to provide you with an answer you hadn't even bothered to investigate yourself.

Thread Information