Power Supply Mods
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Power Supply Mods

Power Supply Mods

Well im thinking of getting one of the power supply mods from ebuyer for my super flower but im not sure if i want to void my warrenty what you guys think? it was quite a cheap psu and has went for about a month and a half with no problems so...

HERE'S a link to the page with the PSU mods on them.

Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Mod your own PSU! I did it!

The only thing holding you back would be the acrylic I guess? I just used standard metal already there and painted it... then installed green lights

Did it, works really nice.

Just if you add a fan to the bottom, (the one with the cut out) remember to leave room for the CPU cooler.

I actually used the one with a fan mount. Works great but I had to carve down the back side of the fan to make room for the CPU cooler.

1 other thing, is if you do go the see through route, be comfortable with the PS and change out the PS fan to a clear with LED's. Lights up the PS really nice and shows off the clear PS cover.
    AMD64 3200, 1 Gb Ram, ATI 9800xt(256)
    AMD 2700+, 1Gb Ram, Geforce4600 VIVO
    AMD 2000+, 1 1/8Gb Ram, ATI 8500 (128)
    AMD 1800+, 1Gb Ram, ATI 9600 pro(128)
    Intel 1.6Ghz (478), 768Mb Ram, 8500 (128)

i would like to add lights to my psu how would i go about it?
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

I got green LED fans and put them in place of my original PSU fans, then re-made the connectors so that they were internal.

Exactle, if you have not done it already, take a look inside the PS. The connector may be wired or just connected with a standard MB type connector with two prongs.

Pretty much match the colors ont he two wires (Black is usually ground) and connect. You have now swapped out your PS fan.

It is pretty simple, just make sure you don't mess around the PS and connect things that shouldn't be connected

discharge it first

I think puling the cord out and then switching it on (green & black wire connected on most PSU-s ATX connectors),there-by let the fan doing the discharge for you, should do the trick

Those modifications are as good as truck jacking kits -- they don't improve performance or appearance do worsen safety. Yet they're favorites among people who don't know how to make real modifications.

Be careful because with power supplies you're playing with as much as 300 volts, and a piece of grounded piece of sheet metal provides far better protection than some highly flammable plastic. Also black wires are not necessarily ground inside a power supply because while the low voltage wires use black as ground, the high voltage side uses green or green-yellow as ground, while black designates the "hot" 120VAC line. Do not confuse the two.

Uh, jamarno, thanks for the advice, however you come off a little strong. Nice opinion on improving the appearance.

I actually think they do look nicer, seeing the inside of the PS with a nice window on the outside, it adds a nice touch (IMHO).

Acrylic, is not flamable, it may melt, but I would take a piece of plastic over a nice conduit such as metal. Hmmm, which lets electicity travel better? Metal or plastic.

Yet they're favorites among people who don't know how to make real modifications.
    This line is really the one that started this post. Please tell me you custom fab your case, and added blood sweat and tears. If not I do not believe you are in any position to talk. Give the Guy/Gal a break, if they want to open the PS let them.

And please let me know what you definition of what "real" modifications are........

Because unless you are really into mods, please only positive, you need to remember some have been cutting, welding, molding for quite some time. I do know what real modding is, and sometimes it is nice to grab a quick fix, then to custom fold an acrylic sheet. MmmK.

After typing that I realized what level you dropped me to.
    Thanks.

You might want to measure the thickness on your PSU fans. I have found on some of those power supplies they use thinner fans than the standard 25.4mm that the LED fans are available in. It just depends on the PSU.
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

Those modifications are as good as truck jacking kits -- they don't improve performance or appearance do worsen safety. Yet they're favorites among people who don't know how to make real modifications.
    Well whats a "Real" Mod??

And how do they not improve the looks, i think there cool.

Cheers guys.

I think he means that because it's a premod that you just install, it's not a real mod.
    I do somewhat agree with him but I think he should know that not everybody has access to equipment to build their own mods, and not everybody is blessed with hands on skills to make thier own, and finally not everyone has the time to make their own.

Thread Information