AthlonXP Upgrade
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: AthlonXP Upgrade

AthlonXP Upgrade

I currently am running an AthlonXP 1800+ with the T-Bred rev A core in it. I managed to get the thing to 1.837Ghz 100% stable, but I want more. I'd love to get an Athlon64 3000+ and ASUS board, but I do not have the money for thyat. I was looking at a new AthlonXP so I can use my current MSI K7N2 Delta-L (nForce2 Ulta-400 board). My memory can only handle 333Mhz (or just a little bit higher if I'm lucky).

Now I want to make sure I get a RevB core this time. I was looking at one of these three:

T-Bred 2400+. It runs at 15x133. If it is not locked I can lower the multiplier down to 13x and run it at a 166Mhz bus speed for 2.167Ghz. If it is locked I will likely be stuck below a 150Mhz bus speed (likely around 146Mhz). This will heart my performance a bit with a lower bus speed and slower memory.

Thorton 2400+. This is the same as the T-Bred CPU, but is it locked or harder to overclock or run cooler? It actually is about $5 cheaper than the T-Bred core.

Barton 2500+. This one is about $10 more but only runs at 1.833Ghz, but uses a 166Mhz bus. It hjas a 11 multiplier. If it is unlocked I can raise it to 12.5, but that would only give me under 2.1Ghz. If it is locked I likely can not get it any faster than my current CPU.

Is the Thorton and T-Bred unlocked? Will I need a new BIOS update to use the Thorton for some reason? I likely will go for the T-Bred core as it is less likely to be locked or need any sort of BIOS upgrade. Do you think it is really worth spending $75 for about 400Mhz or less extra? Will I notice much differnce in games? Its so much easier when I am getting a new motherboard, CPU and memory as I can target higher bus speed options and such. When I'm upgrading it is harder.

Also will my AthlonXP 1800+ fit in my Epox 8KHA+ (KT266A) that my AthlonXP 1600+ (palimino core) sits in right now? That might make it a little more worth the upgrade as my 1600+ does not overclock at all.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I guess that somewhat depends on what you use it for. I have a friend that went from a 1800 to a 2600 (not o/ced), and cut his video encoding times significantly.

My year old 1700B (about $40-45 new now?) runs smoothly at PR 2600 speed, 2106. Many have it at 2300 and higher.

The chip of choice I see in several forums is the Barton 2500+.

Good luck!

The Barton is a tough one as my memory can not take the 400Mhz+ that you need to overclock the Barton cores well. I'd have to modify the chip to unlock the lower multipliers (which I do not really want to do. Currenty my CPU is about the same as a 2400+ performance wise and if I spend $75 for a new CPU, I waqnt to get at least a 2800+ speed or more out of it. With the Multiplier cut-off at 12.5-13 and some of them coming locked (supposadly) I'm worried about spending $75 for a CPU that performs only slightly higher than what I have right now. If I get the 2400+ and it is locked I can always run the bus speed up higher, but the performance boost will not be quite a s good do to the lower bus/memory speeds, but I can at least up the memory timings a bit to make up for it. If I can do 2.2Ghz I guess it does not matter too much. If the 2400+ is unlocked I can lower the multiplier down to 13x and run the bus speed at 166 again. That will give me 2.166Ghz and if the CPU can handle it I can then use a 13.5x or even 14x (for 2.25 or 2.33).

I wish they made a Barton with a lower bus speed/higher multiplier like the 2400+ and that they didn't start at only 1.83Ghz (for the 2500+). I'd like to get a Barton, but I do not think I can push it very far with my memory.

The other thing I want to know is if the Thorton and T-Bred are the same for overclocking. As far as I know the Thorton is a Barton with half the L2 cache disabled (likely defective Bartons). It might overclock better as the Barton has a slightly larger core size to dissipate the heat to the heatsink. It also cost about $5 less. It also might not overclock too well. I just have almost no info on the chip.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information