Dimensions question concerning Case
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Dimensions question concerning Case

Hybrid View

Dimensions question concerning Case

I'm building my own computer and I've got most of the components picked out except for the case. What are the different drive bay dimensions used for in terms of components(External 5.25", 3.5" Internal 3.5"). I have two hard drives, two optical drives (DVD reader and a CD-Burner), a zip drive, and I might be keeping my floppy.

Thanks from a newbie builder.

All modern HDDs are 3" (although some long extinct models were 5")

Optical drives due to the size of their media are 5"

Internal zip and floppy drives are 3"

Most cases have two or three 3" bays - if you have two HDDs, a zip drive and possibly a legacy floppy drive, you'll probably need to put at least one of these into a spare 5" bay. You can get a fixing bracket for that purpose.

What are the different drive bay dimensions used for in terms of components(External 5.25", 3.5" Internal 3.5"). I have two hard drives, two optical drives (DVD reader and a CD-Burner), a zip drive, and I might be keeping my floppy.
    External 5.25" is where you would put your CD-ROM, CR-RW Ect.
    External 3.5" is where you would put your floppy and Zip Drive
    and internal 3.5" is where you would put your Hard drive(s)
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Just wait til the new 2.5" hard drives come out. That will really confuse everyone won't it?
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

Thank you. That's along the line of what I was thinking but I had to be sure. Didn't want to buy two cases . Well have a merry CHRISTMAS or a happy Hanukah.

lol cheers, same to you to
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Many of the current cases, at least the cheap ones I use, have 3 1/2" drive rails that extend from the bottom of the 5 1/4" drive rails all the way to the bottom of the case. The top two positions line up with the openings in the bezel for your floppy and Zip, the rest is available for hard drives. Current one I'm using, (typical "17 inch" (actually abt 16 1/2"), has 4 cd drive slots above.

ive got 4 External 5.25, 2 External 3.5 and 5 Internal 3.5"

Thread Information