Cant see BIOS with new 9600xt, and other problems.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Cant see BIOS with new 9600xt, and other problems.

Angry Cant see BIOS with new 9600xt, and other problems.

Finally got a new sapphire 9600xt, looks good in windows and in games. Here's the problem though.
    When I boot up, the screen looks "squished" during the memory test, and if I hit Del to go into the BIOS, I can't see anything!! However, I've run the S-video out cable to an S-video to RCA converter and into my VCR and then coax from VCR to TV, (Old tv, no RCA video in). Now, when the computer screen is blank in the BIOS, I can see the BIOS on the tv, but it's rolling, as if the refresh rate isn't right or something, so I still cant see well enough to change anything in the BIOS.
    Once I get into windows, everything is fine on both the monitor and the TV, except for playing movies.
    DVD's play fine on both the monitor and the TV. Apple quicktime MOV files also work. AVI files and MPEGs play fine on the computer, but they are blank on the TV, UNLESS I first open one up, (which plays on the comp but is blank on the TV), keep it open but not playing, then open up a different movie. The second movie then plays fine on both the computer and the TV and I can then close the first movie.
    Now, if I go into the ATI control panel and click on the "target" icon next to the TV under the display tab it changes the refresh rate under the monitor from 100 to 60. When I apply this, my desktop "squishes", but the TV looks the same, and I can play all movies files without having to do anything special.
    So, after all that, does anyone have any idea what's going on?
    This happened with both catalyst 3.8 and 3.10 which I'm now running. I first uninstalled my old Nvidia drivers and then ran detonator destroyer, then tried the 3.8s, then uninstalled them and tried the 3.10's. No change.
    My system specs:
    AMD 1.33 Ghz
    Win ME
    Asus a7v 133a BIOS Rev 1008a
    512 Ram
    Sapphire Radeon 9600xt 128 meg
    WD 80Gig HD
    AGPx4
    Last edited by Dood; December 19th, 2003 at 07:07 PM.

with my Radeon 9800 I cant see anything on boot up until I get to login screen, when I have my SVHS cable connected to TV
    I can however see the picture on a TV

looks like resolution/refresh mismatch

hmm, I kinda have a simular problem with my 9600 pro. Well its not really a problem, just annoying. My resoulation from post until it starts to load windows is a strange one. Im not sure what it is but its not a 4:3 ratio (I think 4:3 is what I mean :P) everything is stretched too.. but I can seee it all. and I can see my bios fine but it is stretched too.

Enable Theater Mode to get video overlay on the TV working.

Not sure about the bootup problems - I've seen PCs do this with the TV-out hooked up (because the refresh rate snaps to 50Hz) but not without.

Maybe you guys could try changing the settings on the tiny red, 2-switch DIP seen in these pics (you can see it much more clearly on the green 9600 Pro PCB):

http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/ati/...d%209600%20PRO

It usually sets NTSC/PAL TV output format.

MuFu.

Thumbs up

MuFu,
    Excellent! "Theater" mode on the overlay controls made the video work properly on the TV, but all the video on the TV defaulted to full screen, which I don't always want. But since you made me aware of the overlay settings, I tried "same on all" and that did the trick. It was originally set on "standard".

Haven't yet tride the DIP switch suggestion, I thought there was some way to change NTSC/PAL format in the control panel, though I can't seem to find it. I'm in the US, which format do I want? Right now I think it's set to NTSC.

I did try hooking up an old monitor, a Cybervision C50, and that allowed me to see the BIOS, though everything looked as K62 described it. Didn't see anything in the BIOS that looked as if it would help my problem. My current monitor is a KDS Visual Sensations 195e 19 inch.

So why does it sort of work with the Cybervison but not with the KDS?
    Last edited by Dood; December 21st, 2003 at 07:44 PM.

thanks MuFu
    that makes sense since LCD doesnt support 50Hz and pic is seen on TV

Originally posted by MuFu

Not sure about the bootup problems - I've seen PCs do this with the TV-out hooked up (because the refresh rate snaps to 50Hz) but not without.

MuFu.
    I could have sworn when I first installed the card and booted up I did not have the TV hooked up and I couldn't see the BIOS, but I just tried it again without the TV and it worked fine! So I guess that was the problem. Now I know when I need to get into the BIOS I'll just unhook the TV. Thanks again MuFu

Thread Information