Nvidia AGP makes comuter freeze
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Nvidia AGP makes comuter freeze

Question Nvidia AGP makes comuter freeze

I've tried first a ti 4200 128mb (nvidia)and it seems to be rather unstable with my set up. Then tried a FX5200 ultra (evga)and it seems to freeze as well, but less often. I use the 4.34.20.27 update cause the newer one 5.2 crashed way too often. And no im not OC ing anything

to me it seems like the system bottle necks and freezes or reboots. I updated all my mobo driver updates and refresh rates are set a 75mhz.

current system
    ECS k266- 8375 phoenix BIOS 1.04
    AMD athlon xp 2100+ @1.66g sitting a temp 44c now
    eVGA e-GeForce 5200 ultra
    ITE IT8705/12 (monitor)
    creative soundblaster audigy

anyone have any idea why it does this? Even viewing web pages system will holt for a second and sometimes the screen will get messed up after the holt, minimize window and maximize and its ok. Any info would be great thanks...

Checked your PSU lately?
    A64 3200+ Venice | XP-120 | 1024MB GeIL Ultra PC4000 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi Radeon X800 XL 256MB | 2x 250GB Maxtor DM+10 (RAID-0) | LG Flatron L1710B | 1999 Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2.5 V6

"Oh Lord, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference."

Im still kind of new to computer stuff. Whats wrong with my PCU? Abit outdated what you getting at?

Your PCU(cpu) is fine. What size power supply (PSU) do you have? Those video cards are power hogs.

Were is the Sound card located? The first slot below the Video card shares IRQ resources with the AGP functions.

oh i got a 350w power source and i have the sound card mounted 2 slots down from AGP so its on its own IRQ.
    And I have the graphics card pluged into its addition power input too. straight from the power supply.

If that is a name brand power supply 350 would be fine, but if it a cheap genaric one, that could be your problem.

Likely though it is a driver issue. What was your old card? Did you uninstall the drivers completely? Did you go into the system registry (regedit) and remove all refrances from your old card (like search for ATI or nVidia...)? Set the graphics to standard VGA and reboot. Then install the latest drivers for the card.

Try going into the system BIOS and turning off fast writes and setting AGP to 2x. Likely the GeForce4 Ti 4200 would be faster that that GeForceFX 5200 unless you run FSAA and AF (which is unlikely on a slower card like that).

You could also try an overclocking tool and see if lowering the core or memory helps. Maybe the heatsink is not attached well. eVGA is a pretty cheap brand, but if you are having the same issues with a GeForce4 Ti, it is likely driver or power supply (PSU) or motherboard issues.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Well i do have a no name brand power supply that came with my case. As for the drivers the TI4200 was my first AGP card ever. So other than that one i was usining my intergraded one.

Yeah i thought about underclocking it a bit to see if that helped, but hadnot tried yet. I do know that over clocking AGP to the 3D setting made it more unstable.

Even viewing normal web pages like this one will cause my system to halt for anywhere from 1/2 to 10 seconds. Generally just my display though, cause i can seem to be able to close windows and things while it seems to be frozen then all of a sudden it all happens right quick.

Thread Information