Dust Bunnies (suck fuzz!)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Bunnies (suck fuzz!)

Dust Bunnies (suck fuzz!)

Hey guys, I have a question.
    I have this Antec case in black (the one Alienware used to use)

I have nothing BUT dust problems with this damn thing. I mean, I don't see any issues except when I go to open my case. Its coated with dust and ****. Well ok, just dust. Anyway, I don't know how to keep this down without putting those thick spongy filters in to cover the fans. If I do that, all its going to do is stop ANY air from going in. Yeah its going to make it easier to clean, but restriction is worse.

This case has 5 fans in it. 2 back, 1 side, 1 front, and if you want to consider the PWRsupply fan. What do you all do to keep the dust out.

I must day, I have a dust issue in my house...or more or less around my desk. I have a rounded corner unit on my desk and behind there its just DUST gallore and well I dont feel like getting off my *** to clean it

So, how do I keep my pc free of dust or at least lower dust intake?

Any takers?

Thanks!
    Scott
    Scott Veirs
    Northern Virginia

Wireless Forums
    www.wirelessgeeks.com

Wireless Solution Provider
    www.usertechsolutions.com

AIM: sdveirs

Hardware:
    GA-8PE667 Ultra
    Intel P4 2.53
    512 DDR RAM
    Maxtor 6Y120L0
    Maxtor 92732U8
    TDK CDRW241040X
    Intel PRO/100 VE NIC
    Sound Blaster Live!

hmm you do use the air filter that comes with it covering the intake fans right? I have that case and I have no dust problems at all.. but I do clean that filter probably once every 2 weeks or so.

You're computer isnt on a floor is it? I have one computer upstairs on a hardwood floor.. and that thing picks up dust like crazy !!! I just cleaned it today with a vacume cleaner.

yup

Yes, its on a carpeted floor.
    I also don't recall a filter coming with it? Was there a filter for each fan?
    Scott Veirs
    Northern Virginia

Wireless Forums
    www.wirelessgeeks.com

Hardware:
    GA-8PE667 Ultra
    Intel P4 2.53
    512 DDR RAM
    Maxtor 6Y120L0
    Maxtor 92732U8
    TDK CDRW241040X
    Intel PRO/100 VE NIC
    Sound Blaster Live!

nope, just one big one
    just a sec, I tink I still have a picture floating aroudn somewhere of mine after like 4 weeks of not cleaning it :P

You access it by 2 tabs on the very bottom front of the outside of the case.

there it is. I broke one of the little tabs off it the first day I had the case still stays in good tho

*edit* by the way, the filters are really easy to clean, just run them under water.. and you're done!
    Last edited by K62; December 15th, 2003 at 12:35 AM.

scottv,
    Sections of pantyhose cut to size, breathable, washable, ive been using them for years.
    Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro HARDM3NU FINAL bios
    XP1700 dut3c @11.x200=2.2Ghz
    (2) 256 Corsair 3200xms@11-2-2-2
    CoolerMaster HHC-001 Heat pipe
    Albatron Ti4200p 128mb Video
    40gb WD hd
    120gb WD hd
    LiteOn 48x burner
    Pioneer 10x dvd
    Leadtek Winfast xp2000 deluxe tv/fm tuner
    Altec Lansing 5.1
    400watt psu, and 250watt psu
    Average load temp 52c/37 w/dryerhose mod

Originally posted by K62

there it is. I broke one of the little tabs off it the first day I had the case still stays in good tho

*edit* by the way, the filters are really easy to clean, just run them under water.. and you're done!
    Hmm, I wonder if its in there and I just dont know about it. Thanks, I'll look for it. (@ work right now)
    Scott Veirs
    Northern Virginia

Wireless Forums
    www.wirelessgeeks.com

Hardware:
    GA-8PE667 Ultra
    Intel P4 2.53
    512 DDR RAM
    Maxtor 6Y120L0
    Maxtor 92732U8
    TDK CDRW241040X
    Intel PRO/100 VE NIC
    Sound Blaster Live!

Originally posted by dafanman
    scottv,
    Sections of pantyhose cut to size, breathable, washable, ive been using them for years.
    Oh, I have lots of panty hose laying around.... (dont ask why). I will try that as well!

Scott

PS: kidding about the hose
    Scott Veirs
    Northern Virginia

Wireless Forums
    www.wirelessgeeks.com

Hardware:
    GA-8PE667 Ultra
    Intel P4 2.53
    512 DDR RAM
    Maxtor 6Y120L0
    Maxtor 92732U8
    TDK CDRW241040X
    Intel PRO/100 VE NIC
    Sound Blaster Live!

well i have 2 females in the house, whats your excuse

My case features a 120mm front modded case fan and a side 120cc modded case fan.

In that we are finally getting some cooler weather, Ive got my dryer hose mod in operation, and cpu temp is 37c, the hose cover the intake side at the window and the intake at the entrance for the two fans.

Get a little dusty, rinse them out in the sink and leave to dry, Ive got spare sets so as to allways have some ready, cheap and effective
    Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro HARDM3NU FINAL bios
    XP1700 dut3c @11.x200=2.2Ghz
    (2) 256 Corsair 3200xms@11-2-2-2
    CoolerMaster HHC-001 Heat pipe
    Albatron Ti4200p 128mb Video
    40gb WD hd
    120gb WD hd
    LiteOn 48x burner
    Pioneer 10x dvd
    Leadtek Winfast xp2000 deluxe tv/fm tuner
    Altec Lansing 5.1
    400watt psu, and 250watt psu
    Average load temp 52c/37 w/dryerhose mod

i have the same case.

i have to say...my room gets vacuumed once a week and i still get loads of dust inside my case too.

4x 80mm L1A Panaflos...so no monster fans drawing dust in.

my theroy is the bottom front fan is so close to the floor that whatever dust is near, gets sucked in too easy. although with a weak 80mm Panaflo...you wouldn't think this would happen. this would also explain why most of my dust buil-up is on the bottom tray of the case.

I have a coolermaster case based on the same design, with no problems with dust at all (PC is on 24/7 too).

The trick is, is to use the air filter properly.

The only fans that should be sucking in are the ones behind the air filter - i.e. the ones on the front. ALL others should be sucking air out of the case - the PSU, ones on the back, and the one on the side. In this scenario, all the fans are pulling air in the same direction - through the air filter.

As all the fans are pulling through the filter, they make very little work of doing it, and the filter doesn't restrict airflow too much.

I have 2 fans on the back of my case, so including the PSU, that's 3 fans pulling air out of the case. There are no fans on the front, yet the intake is still through the air filter due to the design of the case.
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

I found my case doesnt have that front panel you all are talking about with the filter. I also looked from the inside and can see right through all openings to daylight. No filters on this case, I will have to add some.
    Scott Veirs
    Northern Virginia

Wireless Forums
    www.wirelessgeeks.com

Hardware:
    GA-8PE667 Ultra
    Intel P4 2.53
    512 DDR RAM
    Maxtor 6Y120L0
    Maxtor 92732U8
    TDK CDRW241040X
    Intel PRO/100 VE NIC
    Sound Blaster Live!

It doesnt have one ? as far as I know it should have come with one.

Yeah, it should be there. It's hard to find though. On mine you have to unscrew the front bezel to get to it. You can't see it without unscrewing it.
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

I have the slightly smaller version of the case and I used to use those green scrubbing pads people use for scrubbing dishes clean. I just slapped two behind the front bezel. You can add another fan up front and put the blowhole on the side blowing out. This might help a bit.

I found a 1/2" round paint brush and a small hand pump for inflating matresses and beach balls worked great for cleaning out the case and took me about as much time and cleaning out the filter. The air made fast work of most of the dust, then I would brush the more resistant dust off and blow it out again. Just about a minute of work about once a month.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information