Advice on modding-upgrade
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Advice on modding-upgrade

Question Advice on modding-upgrade

This here's the deal;

I have a Dell-computer, in a Dell-midi-tower. I also have ~$ 670 which I'm gonna spend on da following;

1 Thermaltake Xaser III Super Tower V1000A (Black with sidewindow)
    ( http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/xaser3/v1000a.htm )

1 Thermaltake P4 Spark 7+ (Xaser Edition) CPU-fan
    ( http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/spark/a1715.htm )

1 Thermaltake Silent PurePower Series Standard 560 w/ Active PFC
    ( http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/W0023.htm )

Since I'm not that very into the hardware-part of computers - I am gonna let the store-guys install and move everything into the new chassis. With all this counted for, I'm expecting to have about ~$ 140 left. For this money I want to add some cool "modding" things - like one or couple of nice lights in the rig, get one of those laser-cut fan-grills and stuff like that.

Since I'm not THAT much into every different mod-aspect either, I was gonna let the computer-mechanic-guy improvise a little with the $ 140 I've got left. What I would like are some suggestions what I could ask to be put in, to enhance the look of my new rig even further - any tips or ideas what nice things you can get for $ 140 ?

What would YOU do with YOUR rig if YOU got $ 140 to be modding with ?

Also, if I were to replace a couple of the fans in the Tt-case with a couple of those transparent-neon-light fans - what would the difference in product quality be ? Is there a big difference between those "mod-fans" and fans from high-quality brands ? (I rather have good quality than good looks in the rig.)

Many thanks for any eventual advice !
    If you always expect the worst...
    ...things can only get better, Right ?!

* Positive Thinking *

Watch out if you are going to be using another PSU on that Dell motherboard. Dell use specially wired PSU's and using a standard ATX supply could kill both the motherboard and PSU.

As for the $140 to spend on lighting etc... I would go for...

Something like those. Decent quality LED fans are normally quiet, push good amounts of air and brighten up the case.

Cold Cathode Lights are another good way of adding colour to your case. Stay away from neon lights as they give off a lot of heat and don't have the same lifetime as cold cathodes.

Laser LEDs are good for lighting up parts of your case... say hard disk bays to show off the RAID array you have going or something.

LED Fan Grills are quite a nice way to illuminate plain black fans. Of course, the Thermaltake case has decent fan grills so you won't need to cut those out, but you can use these fan grills on the side of the fan which faces the inside of the case to add even more lighting and colour.

A word of warning, try to stick to one or two colours. I have a green/blue blend in my case which looks pretty sweet. Having more than two colours can really cause a mess, and it won't look cool at all.

Hope these links have given you more of an idea of what you want.
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

hmm. What model dell computer do you have? Dell usually designs their components to work only with their other stuff. Your mobo might not even in that case, and like AGW said, that powersupply probbly wont even connect to the mobo. Also you could probably save more by going to a smaller powersupply, 560w on that rig is wayyy over kill.

Heh, you see - I NEED HELP - lotsa help actually =)
    Good thing I didn't go ahead with that nice little plan of mine to entirely destroy the mobo !!

The lightning-tips are great - lots of "thanks" are orbiting your head right now agw_01 ! As of mixing two colors, I have to look into that one also - feels kinda hard to try and figure out what color-combination will look the best. Green/blue sounds cool, however, I want a bit "warmer" look in the case - so maybe red and something would do nice for me - like red/purple or blue...
    Gotta keep figuring on that.

To answer your question K62, I have a Dell Dimension 8250. One man, working at a computer-store which I've been in contact with also said that there might be problems. But then, I talked with my local c-store who said that there probably won't be a prob... I just have to bring it in and see what they find out.
    But no new PSU then - gotta be careful with that plan. Hope my current PSU manage to power seven fans though.

* Positive Thinking *

But one main thing, the rest of the system is likely not propriatary, like the CPU (but maybe the heatsink), the memory (likely), hard drive, optical drives... You might need a new motherboard.

Another option is you can get some really cool loooking case mod stuff you dump on your current case. You can buy window kits that are pretty easy to do (trace around the window with a small washer for a spacer, cut it out with a drumel or fine toothed jig-saw, and insert the window with the provided molding and locking strip). I've done this many times and can cost as little as $6-10 (USA). You can then drop in a cold cathode and LED fans. Maybe a new heatsink, rounded IDE/floppy cables, case badge, fan grills, and fan controller. You would save a boat load of money and maybe let you get an LCD or new graphics card instead.

Most of these parts are VERY easy to just plug in or swap out with your older parts. The side window is pretty easy as the side pannel is easy to remove on most cases so you can take it to a freind's house if you lack the tools. Get some black zip ties and route all the cables out of the way. With a little work you can do something like this case. It is my second (out of 5) and is a window kit, 4 purple LED fans, case badge, and a purple cold cathode (about $50 total) on a $30 Cheiftech clone of the Antex SX-630 case. I plan to replace the two 80mm fans in the PS with purple LED fans as one of the fans is starting to go bad.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Personall I would take that $140 and buy a good moetherboard, and migrate all the other parts over. Then sell the Dell M/B on egay to et some of the lost money back. I'd also buy a better heatsink.
    Opteron 148@2805(255x11-1.4v)
    Stock cooling(until I get a water block)
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    1GB PC3200 OCZ Gold EL(2-2-2-8-2 1T 5:6 Divider)
    Sapphire X800GTO2(520/580 - Unlocked 16 Pipes)
    Antec TruePower 550 vmodded
    2x Western Digital WD-1200JS(RAID0)
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

Main BoxAthlon 64 FX-53 @2.4ghz| 2GB HyperX
    PC4000 | Asus A8V-Delx. | BFG 6800U | 2xWD Raptor 74Gb raid 0| Audigy2 | Dell 19" LCD FPM | XP Pro
    Linux Box -Athlon 64 2800 | MSI K8T NEO |
    9700p | SB Live! Value | 80Gb Seagate Barracuda | Sony DL DVDRW | Ubuntu 64bit
    LaptopDell 600M 1.5Ghz Cent. | 512mb | DVDRW
    Mac G5 Dual 2.3Ghz | 4Gb Ram | Radeon 9650 | 250Gb sata | Dell 19" Flat CRT

Originally posted by sam_fisher

Nice one for picking out the Plusview! I love mine! Just fitted a Zalman northbridge heatsink and 2 Zalman silent fans (5.5v) and it's still nice and cool inside there, even with the reduction in exhaust airflow.
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

Originally posted by NewBlackDak
    Personall I would take that $140 and buy a good moetherboard, and migrate all the other parts over. Then sell the Dell M/B on egay to et some of the lost money back. I'd also buy a better heatsink.
    Absolutely. It's not as hard as you think. You can find how-to guides to doing it online, and you have us for help if you run into problems.

get your self a super flower power supply they are cheap and cheerful! and id get rounded IDE cables and a new motherboard. a couple of led case fans and a cold cathode light
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Hey guys, all these tips and suggestions are INVALUABLE !!! When the big day comes, in the near future, I will print this entire thread, take it with me and discuss it directly with the staff at the local computer-store where I intend to be buying everything for this little upgrade.

Some of these suggestions are products and brands which I haven't even laid eyes on before. Thank you so much for your help and support !

(I'll round up this little thread of mine once I've decided what stuff to get and what to do with my new case. But until then, no one is happier than me if you keep 'em coming.)

* Positive Thinking *

Thread Information