Partitioning a Pen Drive (by mistake)???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Partitioning a Pen Drive (by mistake)???

Hybrid View

Partitioning a Pen Drive (by mistake)???

Ok, I did this a while ago, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to fix this. I accidently left my 64mb pen drive connected while reinstalling windos XP. I keep seeing this 64mb partition popping up, and I just formatted and partition a new seagate 120gb drive I picked up on one those irresistible sales recently. Anyway, I didn't remember making any 64mb partition so I deleted it (of course I forgot the pen drive was connected). It turns out that 64mb partition was my pen drive. So then of course I had to go back in using the XP disk to repartition the pen drive. The problem is, XP wastes 8mb everytime you use it to make a partition so now I'm down to a 54mb pen drive. Partition magic (8 I believe) won't recognize the USB drive, and neither woudl Ranish partition manager. So far I've found that only XP is able to partition it while booting from the CD. Does anybody know of another way to repartition this thing to get back my 8mb that XP is trying to waste? It's not really a big deal, but I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what program I could use to repartition this thing without wasting space.

Thanks in advance for your advice. I'm guessing I'll have to wait for the next version of partition magic and hope it supports pen drives, not that there should be any reason to do so. I just wish Microsucks hadn't supported this just like everyone else doesn't seem to. I also tried Fdisk, but I was pretty sure that wouldn't recognize the drive either. It didn't. I believe win2k will waste 8mb like this too, but maybe I could try that and see what happens.
    Last edited by RD_151; December 8th, 2003 at 07:58 AM.

was the pen drive partitioned as ntfs (default settings for winxp)? if so, try partitioning it with winxp as fat.

I'm pretty sure I used FAT 32, but I'll double check. Thanks! Hopefully that's what is going on. If not, maybe going with NTFS might create a 64mb partition. That might work. I have a feeling though that whenever you use the windows xp setup disk to partition a drive it's going to waste 8mb. I'm not sure why that is exactly. But if I remember correctly anytime I've used the XP setup disk to partition a drive it's done this. Hopefully I'm wrong about this though. Thanks again!

Thread Information