OMG! And you thought PC stood for personal computer
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG! And you thought PC stood for personal computer

OMG! And you thought PC stood for personal computer

One more example of the "nanny culture" that is growing in America. Good thing people are out there to save us from ourselves. Gives a whole new spin on PC.....Political Correctness

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/1...eut/index.html

Oh my. That's hilarious to the extreme.

I think these people's lifes are so boring, they have nothing better to do.
    This is pathetic. Why don't we change all the words in our vocabulary then, since any of 'em can be connected to a historical act of ignorance and cowardism from one culture to another?

Bah!
    Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz 800MHz FSB
    Asus P4C800 Deluxe
    1GB DDR400 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 80GB RAID0
    SoundBlaster Audigy2

Responde to the source.

http://oaac.co.la.ca.us/

mailto:lacoeeo@co.la.ca.us

How to Contact the Office of Affirmative Action Compliance

Office of Affirmative Action Compliance
    Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration
    500 West Temple Street, Suite 780
    Los Angeles, CA 90012

E-mail: lacoeeo@co.la.ca.us
    TTY: (213) 974-0911

Department of Silly Talks...............................

They have a point, somebody could have picked better terms in the beginning. But changing something like that now is a bit like deciding to switch to driving on the other side of the road.............phased in....................beginning with trucks and buses.

It's a pity someone in government in the USA didn't care about the realilty of economic slavery.

and what would you have suggested instead?
    Athlon XP(palomino) 1800+
    ShuttleAK35GT2(kt333) mobo
    Corsair XMS 512MB PC2700 DDR RAM@cas-2
    ATI FireGL Z1
    19" Viewsonic P90F

People need to spend less time getting offended by every word they hear. The ironic (or stupid) thing here is that slavery is not something limited to USA of the 1800s, yet our judicial system gets clogged with this rhetoric. Many countries had slavery, and in most situations the "slave" was set free by the "master" after an agreed period of time, often 7 years.

The funny thing here is that the only jokes I've ever heard about slave and master IDE settings were made in reference to S&M. All this is pointless anyway. By the time this passes legislation, we will all be using SATA.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

People are always complaining about how difficult it is to understand us "geeks" when we talk computer jargon. Notice how the article refered to the devices as Primary and secondary, not making known to the general public that those terms are already in use in the same subsystem of the computer with IDE drives. Then we would have to refer to the everything as the "primary primary" "Primary secondary" "Secondary Primary" and "Secondary secondary" how stupid and confusing would that be. People should mind there own business and like ThreeOnTheTree said, not get offended over every little thing.
    AMD 2000+ - AOpen AK-77(Pro-A) - 512Mb PC2700 DDR-RAM - ATI Sapphire 9800Pro
    120Gb WD 7200RPM - 30Gb WD 7200RPM - AOpen 16x Slot-Load DVD-ROM - AOpen 48x12x48 CD-RW
    2 160W Speakers (15" Woofers, 12" horns, and 3 2" super tweeters on each) - Infocus Projector about 6' screen. - Windows XP Media Center Edition

i have never in any circumstance ever connected the term's slave and master to anything relative to history. they are computer terms and should be considered as such. changing our dictionary (which would never happen i know ) would be pointless because we would create new meanings or new words to discriminate and create harmful meaning.

plus, everything is offensive to someone...why must we go thru this all the time. perhaps i just dont see the relevance in this situation or some of the others, but i think this is a waste of everyones time. While we are at it, lets put in a petition to change the country of Niger in Africa because its name too closely resembles another word in our language

The people that take a stand on these types of things either have alot of extra time on their hands, or have some larger agenda. I'm sure the instigator of all this is somehow looking to make a name for themselves and use it to bolster their political footing. I mean really, who thinks of that stuff!? What other reason would there be to attack a standardized wordage like that?

Next is gonna be down with #2 pencils!! It is forcing me into depression and I am offended that I have to use the second best! I want #1 CHANGE IT IMMEDIATELY!!

I think that is very stupid. It reminds me of when one of my teachers in school told us that there was a group of people that were *****ing about the Canadian national athem because it says "In all our sons command".... they wanted "In all our peoples command" or soemthign stupid. bah

I think they should change "master" and "slave" to "pimp" and "*****" and then see what people say. :P

And this **** is only now surfacing? I've been a mechanic all my life and I'll interject my terms. In hydraulics we have master cylinders and slave cylinders on both clutches and brakes. I'm also a musician. We have mastering boards and slave amps. I'm also married and we have a master bedroom in the house. People are trying to begin a career by mastering their skills. Professional fisherman start out using aprentices to bait their hooks and ultimately wind up using master baiters.........uh, okay bad example but you get my drift.

Originally posted by K62
    I think they should change "master" and "slave" to "pimp" and "*****" and then see what people say. :P
    How about pimp and hoe. And then we can have the primary pimp and the primary hoe, and a secondary pimp and secondary hoe.

I think we're on to something here.

In the computer industry, "master" and "slave" are used to refer to primary and secondary hard disk drives. The terms are also used in other industries.

"Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label," Joe Sandoval, division manager of purchasing and contract services, said in a memo sent to County vendors.
    LMFAO !. I'd just love to build a computer for that ****. I'd set every freakin drive in the whole box the "master" and then flat out refuse to fix it for him on the grounds that the result, whilst fully functional, would be culturally unacceptable. That would just give me soooo much pleasure.

Oh dear!!!!

videotape machine carrying devices labeled "master" and "slave"
    Since when did videotape machine's take offence? That just takes the piss! How stupid can someone get!

offensive terms
    Master and Slave... I don't see those words as very offensive. Some person was probably having a bad day and decided to see what trouble he could cause! I really can't see a name change coming, just because of one complaint!

MAN! What is this world coming to hehehe
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

Thread Information