HP Pavilion 8280 - Disabling Onboard Video
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: HP Pavilion 8280 - Disabling Onboard Video

HP Pavilion 8280 - Disabling Onboard Video

Does anyone know how to diable the onboard video on HP Pavilion 8280. Other HP models had a jumper JVSEL that can be removed. Not this one. The BIOS does not have any settings. I'm trying to install a new ATI card with no luck. Many thanks.

I have an HP 8260,I disabled the onboard when I installled my matrox G450 ,by going to Device Manager and disabling it in the "adapters "(mine was ATI-264VT2) properties.
    Saving my wonderinguy34 1000th post till I get my new comp running

Thank you for your reply. I did disable the drivers in Windows and went to Standard VGA. However, when the new card is in the slot the system does not even do a POST. The monitor does not come on at all. I couldn't find any jumper settings on the mother board. I'm wondering perhaps maybe because it is a PCI card and the onboard is AGP. I'm at a dead end right now. Any help appreciated ....

Many thanks.

I have not looked inside a HP recently but you may want to see if there is an option to boot AGP or PCI as initial display.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Its funny, HP always seem to have these type of problems, i have an hp 6640c it uses SIS integrated graphics 530/620. I wasnt satisfied with the graphics because it dont got opengl support, so i went out and got an ATI Radeon, which was a dissapointment because i couldnt install it. What is that JVSEL jumper? where do i find it? well, i hope you can help, thank you.

Originally posted by krazyxtacy:
    ...i have an hp 6640c it uses SIS integrated graphics 530/620. I wasnt satisfied with the graphics because it dont got opengl support, so i went out and got an ATI Radeon, which was a dissapointment because i couldnt install it. What is that JVSEL jumper? where do i find it? well, i hope you can help, thank you.
    According to HP, there should be a BIOS Setup setting under Advanced Menu for Default Primary Video Adapter in AGP or PCI. LINK
    There is also the mention of VGA interrupt selection (VIRQ) and VGA setting (VEN_DIS) settings at this LINK
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

The HP 8280 has a different motherboard with only the VIRQ jumper which did not make a difference regardless of the setting. I have the latest BIOS 4.06 and it does not have an option under Advanced or other places for video settings. The system does not even do a POST when the card is installed (tried different slots too). I contacted HP via email and their response was to call their tech support since this looks like a hardware problem. I haven't opened or upgraded that machine since I purchased it. I don't want to pay the $25 for a support call, so I returned the new ATI card to where I bought, and all I can do now is be upset about the fact that I have a system with onboard ATI AGP graphics that cannot be disabled or upgraded.

Originally posted by krazyxtacy:
    Its funny, HP always seem to have these type of problems, i have an hp 6640c it uses SIS integrated graphics 530/620. I wasnt satisfied with the graphics because it dont got opengl support, so i went out and got an ATI Radeon, which was a dissapointment because i couldnt install it. What is that JVSEL jumper? where do i find it? well, i hope you can help, thank you.
    Don't worry IBM have the same problems. see my post in this forum.

Bubs
    [*]AMD Athlon XP1600+[*]DFI AD72SN[*]160Mb[*]SUMA GFORCE2 TITANIUM 64MB DDR[*]20Gb Quantum Fireball plus LM[*]cd-rom [*]liteon cd-rw[*]Windows ME 4.90.3000

I am having a similar problem with my AMD system and the onboard video is a SIS-530 and from what I understand, it is a nightmare to disable completely.

I am still trying to find someone to help me with that problem cause my monitor wont come on at all on initial boot-up. I looked in the hardware profiles and there are several types of SIS type systems including one that says...SIS-PMU device. So, if anyone doesn't mind that I ride the coattails on this post so that I don't have to post a new one..do I need to disable everything that is SIS related in the hardware profiles, then install the new card?

Originally posted by TEXASGHOST_01_2001:
    I am having a similar problem with my AMD system and the onboard video is a SIS-530 and from what I understand, it is a nightmare to disable completely.

I am still trying to find someone to help me with that problem cause my monitor wont come on at all on initial boot-up. I looked in the hardware profiles and there are several types of SIS type systems including one that says...SIS-PMU device. So, if anyone doesn't mind that I ride the coattails on this post so that I don't have to post a new one..do I need to disable everything that is SIS related in the hardware profiles, then install the new card?
    You never stated on your other three posts what the brand and full model of your mobo.
    That may help things rolling.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

PC CHIPS Amd 500 mhz.

I think the mobo is a M598. I have tried everything from setting the bios to AGP, to updating drivers to no avail. I am wondering if either the mobo is bad or the 530 chipset is bad. I dont know if this would have anything to do with the problem but when I first got the system, before I even started it up, I took out the micromodem and am using my own modem and also took out the ethernet card. Would taking those out cause the video to get messed up?

But I did buy a new video card (PCI) and want to install that and disable the SIS 530 but want to make sure I do this right where its totally disabled so that when I install the new video card and it still causes the same problem, I will know then that the mobo is pretty much scrap.

Any help?? Philip.

If your mobo is a PC Chips M598,
    You can download the manual for it by clicking HERE.

Suggestions:
    Be sure to download and install the SiS chipset driver(s), if applicable.
    In the BIOS Setup,
    Check the settings available in the Primary Display option and
    PCI under Onboard AGP VGA.
    Note that brand of mobo is known to be real picky about which video card it works with or not.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I have a PCChips m748 mobo (which has a SiS 620 that sucks) and I upgraded to V32k.
    Maybe TEXASGHOST_01_2001 with all the problems in your mind you might just *not* placed the PCI card properly in the board. I made that mistake the first time I installed the card.
    And try to reset the CMOS. It might help also too.
    One claims to know everything and yet knows nothing

System 1:
    Athlon XP 1800+@2408MHz(14x172MHz) cooled by Aero 7 Lite
    Jetway N2PAP-400 nForce2 mobo
    256 MB DDR333 Kingston
    Lite-On 48x24x48 (x16) DVDROM/CDRW Combo Drive
    Gainward Ultra-750X Ti4800SE 64MB DDR
    15" monitor
    ACS 45.1 speakers

System 2:
    Pentium 3 450@600 MHz(4.5*133 MHz)
    PC-Chips M748MR
    64 MB RAM
    48x CDROM Drive
    15" monitor
    Voodoo 3 2000 PCI@188 MHz
    loads of crap

Angry Jetway

I have a jetway 830cf with an AMD Duron 1.1 GHz and i tried to install a S3 savage video card in the AGP slot. I set the bios for the first video to be from the agp slot. I even installed an AGP slot upgrade and it didn't work. When I turn on the monitor it is all messed up and i don't know what to do. Please help me.

Thread Information