Ultra ATA 100 Harddrive, Ultra DMA 33 MoBo
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra ATA 100 Harddrive, Ultra DMA 33 MoBo

Ultra ATA 100 Harddrive, Ultra DMA 33 MoBo

I read in another thread that ultra ata and ultra dma are the same thing. So I know that part.

My question is this. Will an Ultra ATA 100 harddrive work on a motherboard that only supports Ultra DMA 33?

I know I have to get the 80 wire cable.

The drive is a Seagate U Series 5
    Model: ST340823A
    5400 RPM
    40 GB

The Motherboard is a Jetway 7ZXAN
    "I'm no expert. That's why I'm here."

- "An egg never bounces twice."
    -----------------------------------------------
    "The computer is a moron."
    - Peter F. Drucker

Your drive will work, no problem.

It'll automatically run at ATA33. You won't need to get a 80 wire cable either because your motherboard don't need one.

Of course, if you already have it, you might as well use it, but no need to waste money in a new one. Just use the old cable.

The PATA100 hard drives are backwards compatible so it'll run on older systems, so long as those older systems support the drives size.

Hopefully that motherboard of yours isn't limited to 32GB drives, otherwise you'll need to use Seagates drive overlay software to have it fully supported.

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    Originally posted by Bink
    The PATA100 hard drives are backwards compatible so it'll run on older systems, so long as those older systems support the drives size.

Hopefully that motherboard of yours isn't limited to 32GB drives, otherwise you'll need to use Seagates drive overlay software to have it fully supported.
    Or partition it. Had to do it with a 160gb drive cause winXP and win2k don't support HD's above 136gb.

WXP SP1 does support HDs larger than 137GB. I just formatted my 160GB Seagate at it's full capacity.

By the way, since we are talking about hard disks, you know, I don't want to draw any attention from the topic's author, but I need some help here...
    My HD supports UDMA6 transfer rate. However, Windows is using only UDMA5 (reported by Sandra). Everything in the BIOS is set to AUTO. Uh... HOW CAN I SET WINDOWS TO USE UDMA6???

Can someone help me too?
    Last edited by Vek-Nor; November 20th, 2003 at 06:35 PM.
    Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz 800MHz FSB
    Asus P4C800 Deluxe
    1GB DDR400 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 80GB RAID0
    SoundBlaster Audigy2

Originally posted by Vek-Nor
    My HD supports UDMA6 transfer rate. However, Windows is using only UDMA5 (reported by Sandra). Everything in the BIOS is set to AUTO. Uh... HOW CAN I SET WINDOWS TO USE UDMA6???
    Don't worry about it. Previous posts here have explained that despite recent ATA/IDE hard drives being labelled ATA 100 and ATA 133, the actual transfer rate is still only about 66. But we're all impressed by bigger numbers, aren't we.

Hmmm. Then why is Sandra complaining about this? She says I must fix this by changing a cable or something...

Are you familiar with the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA? How do you rate this one, ATA/100 or ATA/133?

By the way... some technician told me all SATA drives should be F:. Mine was set as F:. Don't ask how, but it is now C:. What is going on? Am I finally going nuts?

ps: mobo BIOS says it is UDMA6...
    Last edited by Vek-Nor; November 20th, 2003 at 06:56 PM.
    Asus P4C800 Deluxe
    1GB DDR400 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    SoundBlaster Audigy2

Ahhh... this answers my question:

Why is my serial ata HDD?(WD360GD (Raptor)) detected as UDMA5 under windows? (as it should be?at least UDMA6 or higher)? What can I do to fix this?

This is because ICH5 southbridge communicates with serial ata HDD through the similar protocol as its parallel ata connctors (supporting up to UDMA5 mode), which makes windows mis-detect it as running under UDMA5 mode. Microsoft will going to release a new patch to fix this issue soon.
    Asus P4C800 Deluxe
    1GB DDR400 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    SoundBlaster Audigy2

Had a look at JetWay's site and it looks like this board is quite ancient budget board at it's time.

It use the Intel 440ZX chipset which only supports 256 MB RAM.

In fact, it might even only support drives upto 8 GB. At least, according to the downloadable manual.

If this is the case, there are BIOS files available for download, which may fix this limitation. There were no changelog about the BIOS though.

Vek-Nor, Serial ATA drives are rated at 150 MB/s.
    But current PCI bus can only deliver max 133 MB/s bandwidth all slots combined.

Originally posted by Vek-Nor
    Ahhh... this answers my question:

And it answers mine too... I wondered why my drive would still run at UDMA-5 even if I forced UDMA-6 in the BIOS... I thought it was a BIOS glitch or something.

Thanks for posting that

Core i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell U2415

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Originally posted by equinoxe3d

And it answers mine too... I wondered why my drive would still run at UDMA-5 even if I forced UDMA-6 in the BIOS... I thought it was a BIOS glitch or something.

Thanks for posting that

Hehehe. So many times so many people helped me out around here. Glad I could help someone too at least once!
    Asus P4C800 Deluxe
    1GB DDR400 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    SoundBlaster Audigy2

Ah, I'm sad now...

I know nothing anymore. My Seagate is set as UDMA6 in the BIOS, but just when it is detecting my drives (before Windows starts) it also says UDMA5... WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is NO OS bug!
    Last edited by Vek-Nor; November 21st, 2003 at 07:24 AM.
    Asus P4C800 Deluxe
    1GB DDR400 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    SoundBlaster Audigy2

Ah, I'm sad now...

I know nothing anymore. My Seagate is set as UDMA6 in the BIOS, but just when it is detecting my drives (before Windows starts) it also says UDMA5... WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is NO OS bug!
    You really should just get over this. UDMA6 will give you NO noticable improvement of any kind in any program with any current desktop HDD. To put it simply the rate at which rate data can be read/written to/from the platters of current hard drives is still well slower than the UDMA5 level. In other words THE INTERFACE IS NOT THE BOTTLENECK.

Stressing over UDMA5 versus UDMA6 would be similar to me worrying about whether the tires on my car were rated for 180km/hr versus 220km/hr when I know that the engine and gearbox cant get it past 120km/hr anyway. Can you see that this would be a pointless thing to do.
    Last edited by uart; November 21st, 2003 at 11:26 AM.

Not to mention that the PCI bus has a theoretical maximum bandwidth of 133 MB/s anyway. So the 150 MB/s provided by SATA will be limited by the PCI bus.

This is the reason why there's only Maxtor which provides ATA-133. All other manufactures haven't bothered because there's no point and ATA-100 is more than enough.

Re: Ultra ATA 100 Harddrive, Ultra DMA 33 MoBo

Originally posted by pc_builder
    The drive is a Seagate U Series 5
    Model: ST340823A
    5400 RPM
    40 GB
    I dont know if you want speed but this hdd takes alot longer to load windows than a 7200RPM because its the same one im using. but it is ultra silent!
    Visit HardwareHackers for my latest projects!

Thread Information