Laptop recommendations
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop recommendations

Question Laptop recommendations

Could anybody recommend a good laptop to me? My budget is around the 800 - 1000 and I stumbled across this one which I'm told is a reasonable price for what it is.

Has anybody got one of these or something similar that they would say is a worthwhile purchase?
    V7ndotcom elursrebmem V7ndotcom elursrebmem,V7ndotcom elursrebmem,V7ndotcom Elursrebmem News,elursrebmem,V7ndotcom,V7N,keyword contest,SEO contest,SEO,search engine optimisation,search engine optimization.

these laptops are ment to be verry good i dont personaly own one so i cant comment but i have heard storys that they are ment to be good
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Surely there must be somebody here that can help me???
    V7ndotcom elursrebmem V7ndotcom elursrebmem,V7ndotcom elursrebmem,V7ndotcom Elursrebmem News,elursrebmem,V7ndotcom,V7N,keyword contest,SEO contest,SEO,search engine optimisation,search engine optimization.

i have a toshiba satellite laptop and it is seems to be a decent laptop for the money.

from what i heard, toshiba is one of the bigger players in the laptop field.

I am on my second Toshiba Satellite. I have been very happy with them. Toshiba is in fact a major player in the laptop arena.

Originally posted by jimbo1763
    I am on my second Toshiba Satellite. I have been very happy with them. Toshiba is in fact a major player in the laptop arena.
    Have you got the same model as the one In the link that I posted?

Sat Pro A10 Cel2.4GHz 256MB

No. Mine is a couple of years old, a 933MHz Pentium III machine with 384 megs of RAM. I have gone with Toshibas because they have, in my experience, been reliable enough and pretty good machines for the money.

There are lots of factors in choosing a laptop, though. Things like what are you going to be using the machine for-portability, desktop replacement, business applications (often not very demanding), gaming, etc. Is speed important, etc.

And remember, you simply are very limited as to being able to do your own repair work on a laptop. Look into the warranty and think about getting something more than one year.

Toshiba sells laptops directly on its web site. Not sure how that works outside the US, though.

Originally posted by jimbo1763

Toshiba sells laptops directly on its web site. Not sure how that works outside the US, though.
    So are Toshiba a brand worth considering?

I am also looking for a laptop, but it needs to be tiny, run min win98, min 2GB HDD(or 1GB if there is a CDROM drive), someway of getting software on it either LAN or CDROM.

dont think PDA are good enough
    Last edited by vmail; December 8th, 2003 at 10:58 AM.
    Have some Fone Fun!
    Write a SMS message beginning with the number 8400
    Then Send it to +31641303196
    Then you and thousand of other visitors can see your txt at Http://VMail.TK
    (Charged at standard rate)

when you say tiny do you mean as in tiny the brand or tiny as in size? if you are talking tiny the manufacturer ohh noo id try and avoid them.

Yes toshiba is a brand to be considering.

Toshiba laptops are ment to have great quality speakers.
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

tiny as in small, common laptop are a bit big
    Have some Fone Fun!

Well, if battery life is a concern, avoid celerons and P4s. The Centrino setup (aka Pentium M) has very good with battery life while not throwing performance out the window. Another big deal (especially if you want to game) is getting a mobility Radeon or GeForce ToGo. SiS or trident graphics, as well as the older 3xx ATi graphics will fall short in this area. I scored a centrino setup for under $1000USD by luck, it was a demo clearance model. If you have local stores, see if you can find such a deal. Normally you get $200-300 savings (the store I went to had probably 15 old demos available). You definitely want to look around if this system will be your primary machine.

Mine is an Acer travelmate 800, and it's loaded. So far it looks like a great notebook, and I see they have some at this website for your pricerange. Don't let the lower clockspeeds fool you, centrino laptops are quite snappy. My 1.3ghz model scores 150fps in Q3 at 1024x768 HQ. It helps that it has a Radeon 9000, versus cheesy Intel "extreme" graphics.

I'm only $400 away from getting the Satellite P25. I saw it at compusa and I fell in love with it. And for $2000 it better be worth it.
    John

Processor: P4 2.4AGhz
    Motherboard: Asus P4P-800-E Deluxe
    RAM: 2GB Crucial 2600? DDR 400
    Hard drive 1: Seagate 320GB SATA 7200
    Hard drive 2: Seagate 160GB SATA 7200
    Video card: Sapphire X1600 Pro 256mb DDR 2
    DVD Burner:Lite-On DVD 16x Burner
    Power supply:Enermax coolergiant EG485AX 480W
    Modem: Motorola surfboard 5120
    Case:Lian Li PC-65B
    Monitor: 19in Viewsonic LCD VX924
    Audio system: Bose companion 3

its only gonna have one SW on it (postcode lookup prog)
    Have some Fone Fun!

Grover has a Sharp-ultraportable machine. See this thread.

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ighlight=Sharp

Thread Information