Notebook advice
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Notebook advice

Notebook advice

The time has come to buy another notebook and sell off my desktop. As much as a have grown to love my desktop, I can't lug it around town with me any longer especially with the 21" monitor.

So, any manufacturers you would recommend, not recommend, or know of any good deals? I'm not looking to bust the bank, but do need reasonable performance. The catch is I'm in Canada, so chances are some major US manufacturers and dealers won't ship to me up here.

Btw, I still have an older CTX notebook which is 6 years old, but works like a charm (although can't use new apps on it). I'd be willing to try a lesser-known manufacturer if their quality is high, a la CTX.

Thanks!

Dell and IBM are known for the durability of there laptops so you might try that out. If you want awesome performance than I'd go with an Alienware but your taking major $$$. There's another brand that I've seen in this forum but can't remember what it is that some of the guys have raved over. They'll probably be able to tell you.
    AMD 2000+ - AOpen AK-77(Pro-A) - 512Mb PC2700 DDR-RAM - ATI Sapphire 9800Pro
    120Gb WD 7200RPM - 30Gb WD 7200RPM - AOpen 16x Slot-Load DVD-ROM - AOpen 48x12x48 CD-RW
    2 160W Speakers (15" Woofers, 12" horns, and 3 2" super tweeters on each) - Infocus Projector about 6' screen. - Windows XP Media Center Edition

My first choice would be IBM.
    Athlon 64 2800+
    1xWD 1200BB, 1xMaxtor 200GB SATA
    Asus K8N-E
    2x512MB Corsair XMS3200
    Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
    Radeon 9800 Pro, Dell 1801FP - WinTV Theater
    Sony CRX320E Combo Drive, Pioneer A04
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro - Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical
    Win XP Pro SP2

I bought a Sharp ultraportable w/ Athlon XPM chip and love it! No problems, loaded with features, and nice and small It was identical to or better than the comparable IBM models I looked at and several hundred bucks cheaper. I'd highly recommend whatever you buy, go with the Athlon XP-M chip, as the pricing is so much better than Intel's monopolistic pricing.
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

IBM, Toshiba-I have been okay with both.

Ironically, my present Toshiba is in the shop now for a problem, and this brings me to my stock and standard advice on laptops.

Whatever you get, pay attention to the warranty, because working on it yourself is often just not possible. If you buy a pricey enough machine to get a 3 year warranty, great. If not, look into doing what you can to be able to be covered for at least two years. The manufacturer may sell an extended warranty (don't go with a store warranty-stick with the manufacturer). Also, some credit cards have a buyer protection program that will double a manufacturer's warranty up to a year-for instance, American Express does-and they work. Ask your card company.

I try to stay covered until I figure that the machine is pretty obsolete. By that time, the cost of the repair is likely to far exceed the value of the machine.

A little off topic, I guess...

Had a Dell Latitude that the keys would not work in the middle of the keyboard - if you "bent" the keyboard inward, they would work. Upgraded to an IBM T30 and love it.

Good experiences with Toshiba and Compaq(now HP).
    POS

Super Moderator of networkstoday.com, Moderator aticertify.net, Moderator at techsupportforum.com

I've been a die-hard AMD fan since their 486s way back in the day. I've been trying to find some xp-m-based notebooks but so far not much is coming up. Searching on AMD's website for manufacturers is completely useless, there's only a few names that pop up and some of them only make desktops, so it's beyond me

I was considering going with Intel for the first time, but as mentioned, the prices are just too high, needlessly too high. I also ran into www.eurocom.ca , a Canadian notebook company that sells 'upgradable' notebooks at decent prices, but only with Intel chips. Any of you have experience with them?

Acer, HP, Compaq, Sharp, IPC and Fujitsu make Athlon XP-M laptops. Intel used their monopolistic club to force some of the other OEMs to go exclusively intel

I've got a Sharp Actius AV18 (PC-AV18)- ultraportable with Athlon XP-M 1800+, and an internal DVD/CD-RW combo which really surprised me in a 4lb ultraportable this thin $1200
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

Thread Information