35% system-ressources enough for gaming (Win98SE)?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 35% system-ressources enough for gaming (Win98SE)?

Question 35% system-ressources enough for gaming (Win98SE)?

I have this problem: when I am browsig the internet for a longer time, this eats up my systemressources completely. After that even when I close all programs I dont need and also force Explorer to restart itself, I sometimes get system ressources under 50% (the lowest fo all of the 3 categories GDI, System, User was about 35%).

My question: is this enough for playing games? If not, does anyone know a program whichcan free system ressources (50% free would be enough, I know that). After the boot I have over 80% free ressources althought I ahve more programs running than when I do gaming.

What sort of system you got? 35% isn't great, but ultimately it depends on your total amount of resources and the game you play.

Originally posted by Bink
    What sort of system you got? 35% isn't great, but ultimately it depends on your total amount of resources and the game you play.
    The total amount of resources are always the same: 3 blocks 64kB of the memory.

My system: see sig.
    Last edited by qwertzuiop; November 16th, 2003 at 05:59 AM.

You're using win98se and 1gb of ram according to your sig. Win98se isn't the best at handling memory over 512mb. Maybe someone here can suggest something but I think you would be better off upgrading to winxp or win2k.
    CPU: Athlon X2 7850 Blackbox edition o/c'd to 3400mhz
    Motherboard: Asus M2N68-AM SE2
    Memory: 4gb Kingston KVR RAM
    Video: BFG Geforce gtx 260 oc v2
    Hard Drives: 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, 500GB WD, 320GB WD, 320GB WD 250GB WD, 250GB Seagate
    Case: APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel case
    Power Supply: OCZ 700W StealthXStream Power Supply
    Optical: 22x LG DVD R/W

Id take nodnod's Advice and upgrade to Windows XP or 2000 (XP is my favourite) you can get an OEM Version of XP for not alot of money!
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Originally posted by nodnod
    You're using win98se and 1gb of ram according to your sig. Win98se isn't the best at handling memory over 512mb. Maybe someone here can suggest something but I think you would be better off upgrading to winxp or win2k.
    There can be problems w/ more than 512MB, but you can easily solve them: you just have to set the max. Vcache (=disk cache) to 128MB and the MinSPs to 8 in the system.ini. I did this and I dont have more problems than I had w/ 512MB. 128MB disk cache is more than enough, so I dont get a performance impact from limiting the disk cache to 128MB.
    Last edited by qwertzuiop; November 16th, 2003 at 10:23 PM.

Well, look at it this way, something isn't right if Windows is reporting only 35% of system resources free when nothing substantial is running and you have 1GB of RAM.

I guess the only way to really know if games will run ok, is to run those games. With 1GB of RAM, I should imagine they'd have no problem at all and Windows has somehow messed up it's resources report.

The other possibility is your system has spyware or something discrete eating up system resources. Probably wouldn't hurt to run AdAware and/or SpyBot on your system.

I already posted, that how much resources you have doesnt depend on how much memory you have.

I already ran Adaware and Spybot and deleted all syware.

In that case, this is likely the culprit for the 35% figure:

qwertzuiop:

128MB **** cache is more than enough, so I dont get a performance impact from limiting the disk cache to 128MB.

The Windows swap file shouldn't influence gaming performance, so you should be fine.

Originally posted by Bink
    In that case, this is likely the culprit for the 35% figure:

qwertzuiop

128MB **** cache is more than enough, so I dont get a performance impact from limiting the disk cache to 128MB.

The Windows swap file shouldn't influence gaming performance, so you should be fine.
    Disk cache is not the same as swapfile. The disk cache is used to store the most used files of the disk in the RAM.

My swapfile has a fixed size of 1280MB, but this is still based on 512MB RAM. I will increase it to 2560MB (2.5*1024)

Originally posted by qwertzuiop
    128MB **** cache is more than enough,
    freudian slip?
    CPU: Athlon X2 7850 Blackbox edition o/c'd to 3400mhz
    Motherboard: Asus M2N68-AM SE2
    Memory: 4gb Kingston KVR RAM
    Video: BFG Geforce gtx 260 oc v2
    Hard Drives: 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, 500GB WD, 320GB WD, 320GB WD 250GB WD, 250GB Seagate
    Case: APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel case
    Power Supply: OCZ 700W StealthXStream Power Supply
    Optical: 22x LG DVD R/W

Thread Information