Virtual reality head sets?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Virtual reality head sets?

Question Virtual reality head sets?

Hi!

Can anyone tell me what is the best Virtual reality head set at this moment and which games can I play with it?

Regards,

Gicio

If you don't own an LCD monitor, I'd definately reccomend some LCD shutter glasses as the most compatible right now. They're very neat, but the polarizing film meshes badly with the polarization of my LCD monitor... read: You can't see jack through them when looking at an LCD monitor. Only thing here is, no head tracking.

I also own a mid-late 90's HMD (Head Mounted Display) called the CyberMaxx from Victormaxx technologies, now out of business. I was very let down by this piece of equipment. The head tracking was awesome and the 3d was pretty good. But it wasn't compatible with ANYTHING, and now I've been trying to get it to work lately. Though I must admit, it was pretty damn cool to play Quake 1, look over my left shoulder and see a grenade being hurled at me. Looked like a guy standing in my living room throwing a coke can at my face.

But for actual present day 3d gaming, I'd go with LCD shutter glasses, available here or you could convert your LCD monitor to 3d via the process here though software support is lacking. If you're set on an HMD and not too worried about playing newer games, you can search around for one like I have and get all the software and info you'd ever need here . Assuming you speak German or have a decent translator. For a rundown of all the older products go here there may be a few newer ones as he updates relatively often. And then to complete the immersion feeling, don't forget to get one of these Made by the same people who used to make the Nintendo Power Glove. Neat eh?

Some other useful links:
    HMD's and other stuff
    another HMD website
    Or just get on Google and type in HMD VR or something similar.

But again, I urge you to go with the LCD's, they're the most compatible I've seen and they're far less expensive than something with headtracking. And honestly, head tracking isn't any good unless you have a wireless mous/joystick and HMD.

Hope that helps some!
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

Great links Swedishlf

Thank you, I try

Now if only I could get that virtual lovin machine working, long distance relationships wouldn't be so bad and I'd be a millionaire....
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

Thread Information