Arctic Silver advice please...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Arctic Silver advice please...

Arctic Silver advice please...

I thought I'd replace my thermal pad with Arctic Silver 5...

My temperature (5hrs on) seem worse than before...

Out of interest how did you guys who use this stuff on a P4 apply it?

Did you for example - as the website suggests - ONLY apply a rice grain amount to the middle of the CPU and thats it? ie: Not even spread it?

Any help would be appreciated...

i didn't use a "rice size" amount...i used enough to cover the entire surface of the p4 heatspreader with a very thin layer...btw, i did spread it...you won't notice immediate temperature drops...i think the stuff needs to be burned in for a while...after that, my temps dropped about an average of 5 deg C as compared to the intel themal pad...
    P4C 2.8ghz o/c'ed to 3.36ghz
    Asus P4C800 Deluxe mobo
    2 x 512mb Kingston HyperX pc4000 DDR
    nVidia GeForce 6800
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
    160GB 7200rpm SATA Seagate
    74GB 10000rpm Western Digital Raptor
    ATI TV Wonder Pro

ya.. there is a "break in" time for arctic silver stuff.. you can either spread it real thin like ohyeahar said.. or do what arctic silver says to do..

the reasoning behind arctic silvers way (i think it's explained on their site) is that one you turn you computer on.. the compression by the heatsink and heat from the CPU cause the paste to spread itself over the surface of the heatspreader rather then you doing it.. this should eliminate any possible bubbles sometimes created when covering such a large surface.. this is why there's that "break in" time.. usually a couple of days..
    Main
    AMD XP-M 2500+ @ 2200 (200x11), 1.65v Thermalright SK-7 w/ Thermaltake Smart fan2 Abit NF7-S v2.0, Forceware 5.10 OCZ 1.5gb OCZ PC3200 2.5-3-3-10 Radeon 9800XT 128mb w/ Zalman VF-700cu Maxtor 250gb SATA HD LG DVD-RWPioneer 10x DVD Enlight 7250 w/ 2 80mm Enermax Noisetaker EG495P-VE SFMA Logitech Z2300 Speakers Samsung 753DF WinXP Pro SP2 DX9.0c

Certifed: MCSA, A+, Linux+, Security+, Net+

Originally posted by ohyeahar
    i didn't use a "rice size" amount...i used enough to cover the entire surface of the p4 heatspreader with a very thin layer...btw, i did spread it...you won't notice immediate temperature drops...i think the stuff needs to be burned in for a while...after that, my temps dropped about an average of 5 deg C as compared to the intel themal pad...
    OK - I'll give it the rest of the week to "burn in"...

Out of interest, its horrible stuff to spread (AS 5), how did you do it? Plastic bag? Credit card?

Originally posted by NeilFawcett
    Out of interest, its horrible stuff to spread (AS 5), how did you do it?
    Credit card

I just use an old heatsink from a Voodoo 3. The flat side of the heatsink is perfect for spreading thermal compound.

Has anyone noticed any difference between AS3 and AS5? I'm using AS3 at the moment and have some pretty good temperatures...

33c idle
    47c load
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

Originally posted by NeilFawcett

Out of interest, its horrible stuff to spread (AS 5), how did you do it? Plastic bag? Credit card?
    haha...the first time i used that stuff, i just used my fingers...bad idea...the stuff doesn't wash off easily...so i had that stuff on me for about a week....
    ever since, i just kinda smush the stuff w/ the bottom of the heatsink...kind of like how you would spread ketchup w/ a bun...
    P4C 2.8ghz o/c'ed to 3.36ghz
    Asus P4C800 Deluxe mobo
    2 x 512mb Kingston HyperX pc4000 DDR
    nVidia GeForce 6800
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
    160GB 7200rpm SATA Seagate
    74GB 10000rpm Western Digital Raptor
    ATI TV Wonder Pro

Latex gloves anyone? It sure makes it pretty easy to spread the thermal compound around. A box of latex gloves is pretty cheap; or if you're like me, you can just take an extra pair from the Chem Lab. You do have to be careful though, so that none of the powder coating the inside of the gloves contaminates the the thermal goo. I've also used a thin clear plastic sandwich bag before.

BTW, There is one more reason NOT to spread the stuff with your finger. Beside being messy, your finger contains many contaminates (dead skin cells, oil, etc) that will decrease the effectiveness of the paste.

Ahhh!

I think I know why I've got no improvement... I think my current heatsink is a pile of s**t!

It's an aluminium Coolmaster one that came free with the CPU.

I read a review for a similar looking device and they said it was worse than the standard Intel one...

I've ordered a Zalman 7000 now... I suspect I'll notice the difference with that

Chances are it is your heatsink that is limiting your cooling. All aluminium heatsinks from CoolerMaster I have seen have been absolute PANTS! Not sure about the copper heat-pipe models though, but they always seem to get good reviews.

Good on ya for choosing a Zalman heatsink.
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

I recon its the aweful Coolmaster heatsink too!

The new Zalman 7000 should go nicely with the Lian 65 case I've just ordered.

The Antec 430 True Power PSU I've just received is a lovely sort of brushed aluminium colour, so that should go nicely as well

Now, how do I light the sucker subtley!...

Thread Information