Power Problem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Power Problem

Question Power Problem

Hi!

I have a 900mhz computer which shuts its self down every now
    and then. It has keept worked up to an hour without shutting down but it has also several times shut it self down only a couple of minutes after up time.. Its a very irritating problem. I tried to change cables and restart/start the computer in every ways that I could think of but the problem consists. Now it wont even start. When I press the start button on the Case the LED's blink and nothing else happens.. Do you know what the problem is/might be?

Thanx for any help.

Sounds like a power supply. A 900Mhz computer will not require much. If it is an Athlon/Duron/P3 I'd get a genaric 350-400Mhz power supply, but if is Celeron, then a 250-300 will do fine. You should be able to find something in the $20-25 range that should work.

It is possible that it is the motherboard. You can unplug the 20 pin ATX connector from the motherboard and jumper the green wire to any of the black with a short peice of wire. This should turn on the power supply manually. If it does turn on fine, then it is likely the motherboard.

So you need to jumper between #14 (PS ON) and any of the COM (ground wires like #13 right next to #14). If the PS does not turn on then you know it is dead. The fans and drives should power up. Without power to the motherboard, though it will not boot, so the screen will not turn on either.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

It may be your CPU are overheated, So you main board will shutdown system. Bad Fan, Bad air blowing, Bad CPU will cause this, and maybe in this condition your CPU become defective! I had same problem with my old system, I found my problem is my bad fan. So after changing it problem solved completely!

Check CPU heat before anything.
    Intel Celeron 2.6
    Elite PF4 Extreme
    Apacer DDR2 256Mb Memory
    XFX nVidia Geforce 6200 TC - 128 Mb DDR
    Maxtor 160GB SATA Hard disk
    NEC DVD RW

Thank you very much Todd A and Metall, i will test it all when I come home.

Thread Information