Fix for cpu fan monitor on ECS K7VTA3 v2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Fix for cpu fan monitor on ECS K7VTA3 v2

Fix for cpu fan monitor on ECS K7VTA3 v2

I'm reworking a computer for my daughter. It's been running for a year, but in its current configuration of a Volcano 6cu and a 92mm Panaflo 2-wire fan, it won't boot unless I connect a 3-wire fan to the cpu fan header. Been through the bios three times, but there is no setting to disable the protection, either before or after I flashed the bios to the latest.
    I'll start looking for a quiet 80mm 3-wire fan, but I wondered if anyone knew of a workaround.

I'm not sure about the board layout for that motherboard or if it has a northbridge fan. If does have a northbridge fan and you're lucky, the cord for the northbridge fan will be able to reach the cpu fan out. I've done that on one board before.

No northbridge fan. I was trying to keep small noisy fans out of it. It's not like I don't have too many whiny little 60mm fans.

I tried a 92mm Superred fan that has a (thermistor?) on it for speed control by temp. The fan runs fine but the speed readings from it were erratic. It started at 1200rpm, sometimes bumped up to 3000 or so, but the first run it suddenly read 40rpm and the bios locked. I was sitting in the bios page for "pc health status" and it froze, wouldn't go anywhere. I had to kill power and reboot. Didn't respond to C/A/D either. During this I was not aware of the fan itself changing speed. They will speed up if you direct heated air at them with a hair dryer. My daughter doesn't live with me so I need something more reliable. I'll put an 80mm "L" fan directly on the heatsink.

*~^$%@# ECS bios!

Thread Information