Buying New Graphics Card
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Buying New Graphics Card

Buying New Graphics Card

I have a GeForce Fx 5200 that just does not want to run halo pc very well, my system specs are P4 2.6ghz, 512 DDR, Fx 5200 128meg vid. It really suprised me that I was getting such crappy performance I expected my card do to somewhat better.... Anyways I'm in the market for a new graphics card and was wanting some suggestions. On pricewatch I saw an ATI 9800 for $177 (not pro) but I also hear a lot of talk about the 9800XT's coming out. I want to be sure I"m getting something that will run halo pc and half-life 2 perfectly but also don't want to spend anymore then $200. Bring on the suggestions/input.

p.s. soon to have a fx 5200 for sell, hows 30 bucks sound?

First off, welcome to Hardware Central! I wouldn't browse these forums too much or you might just get addicted.

The 9800 would offer a VERY significant performance boost over the fx5200. As you said, ATI is adding to their top of the line graphics cards pretty soon, so if you wanted to hold out, the 9800 non-pro should get cheaper, although 180$ is very good for this card IMO. How long it will take to go down in price, I don't know.

The rest of your system looks great! With that new video card in it, you should burn through just about any game.

So go ahead with a 9800, or wait a month or so to see whats up with the XT's? god I want to play halo.

I'd say upgrade now. I have a feeling that the price drop won't be that significant. And besides, don't we all just HATE the endless cycle of waiting for the NEXT product to come out.

If your upgrading just to play Halo i wunt bother. Read the other thread about it! Nothing plays that game well. My FX 5200 is fantastic (specially when i run it at 500/500).

Hey mix up, how do you have yours configured? I really just started reading up on graphics cards in the last couple days.. don't really know to much detail? Are there things I can do to improve its performance.. I have the latest driver but thats all I've done.

Cool

I too have GeForce 5200, it runs just fine on my system.
    The problem with this, is just a bit slow specially to
    newer games. If your thinking about upgrading (like me)
    I would wait a bit till some of the higher end card prices
    go down. So far I don't know whats going on with NVidia
    but it seems ATI rules this time around.

Also what version of driver your using?
    I've heard the older drivers are much stable and runs
    preety fast on some games.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AMD2400+ / KX400mobo
    512mb PC2700 DDR
    WinXP-pro

Driver Version 4.5.2.3

I'm happy with its performance in everything except halo pc... and I think I am going to try and hold out for a 9600XT... I think

Thread Information