digital camera
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: digital camera

digital camera

looking to but a digital camera, thought I'd make a post here even tho it's not really computer related. anyhow, I'm in the <$200 price range. want something relatively small, lcd screen, digital/optical zoom, at least 3 megapixels, and decent sized resolution, 1600x1200 at least I guess. The camera that I am leaning towards right now is the Cannon PowerShot A300.

anyone have suggestions/comments, or know of a board better suited to this sort of question?

www.dpreview.com is a great resource for Digital photography,there forums are very informative as are the reviews.

Good choice on the Cannon.

I have heard nothing but good about the Cannon for a point and shoot in that price range.

What about the A70? I think that's a 3Mpixel camera. I'd check dpreview.com though.
    Athlon 64 2800+
    1xWD 1200BB, 1xMaxtor 200GB SATA
    Asus K8N-E
    2x512MB Corsair XMS3200
    Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
    Radeon 9800 Pro, Dell 1801FP - WinTV Theater
    Sony CRX320E Combo Drive, Pioneer A04
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro - Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical
    Win XP Pro SP2

The A70 is good but goodluck trying to find one! They are pretty much sold out everywhere. I bought a Panasonic LMC33 instead and i couldn't be happier.
    P4 @ 2.4G, MSI 648 Max L, 512MB PC2100 DDR, 80G WD HD with 8MB Cache, NEC 2500A DVD Burner, Norcent CDRW, 19" MAG Monitor, Antec TRUE330, Audiophile 2496, ATI Radeon 7500.
    P3 @ 800MHz, 120G WD HD, 384Mhz RAM, Toshiba DVD ROM, Panansonic CDRW, 15" Nokia Monitor, 32MB Diamond Viper II.

A70 is too expensive.. cheapest I can find it for is $280.. im not looking to spend more than $200. I would buy the A300 right now if it had optical zoom.

Entry level cameras like the A300 just come with alkaline batteries which don’t take many photos and get to be pricey. You need both a CF card of 128Mb and a charger with some NiMH batteries in addition to the camera. Your best bet IMO is to take your chances on E-Bay for a package that includes sufficient memory and rechargeable batteries with a used camera. Hopefully you can pick up something with an optical zoom.

Otherwise, in your price range you are better to stick with film for a while. Digitals will come down to your price range eventually.

My budget for the camera is $200. I plan to buy a 128 card additionally. Now I am leaning towards Nikon CoolPix 2100 as they supply NiMH batteries and charger!

My selections are as follows:
    Fuji FinePix 2650, Fuji FINEPIX A303, Nikon Coolpix 2100, Nikon Coolpix 2500, Olympus D-560 Zoom

any comments on image quality based on pixel count and lense quality would be appreciated.

I've got a Fuji finpix (I think 2400) it's the model that the 2650 replaced. Have had it for years, and it's great. You can just throw it in your pocket and go thanks to the design. It's been a great camera. But remember, these are only 2megapix cameras. You specified a 3 megapix minimum! Not that it matters, 2mp is probably fine for most people anyway. For $150 you can't go wrong. You really don't want to buy something with out a 3x optical zoom or better. And in your price range, fuji is probably where you should be looking. You can always "upgrade" later. Don't forget, a 5 or 6 megapix camera is gonna be about the same price in a year or two! You will always pay a premium for the optical zoom though I imagine. That's something you'll really miss if you get something really cheap.

I vote for the Fuji 2650 even though it's only 2mp! Besides, you might find it for less than $150, I remember finding them for about this price a year ago. Although don't expect it to be too much cheaper. Remember, this has an optical zoom. So I'd guess the cheapest you are gonna find this one is about $130 for now, even if you shop around a little.

The Fuji 3800 finepix gets my vote. Lots of features with 6X optical zoom. Takes outstanding shots, but get the larger memory stick, it comes with 16 mb stick. Get the 64 or 128 and also get the finepix stick reader and save your batteries. You can get it for around $350 on internet. You will not get many features for $200 unless you just want bare bones camera.

haha suckers, i recently had a fuji finepix 2650 for $80 out the door!

Bought for $40 on ebay, AS IS, $20 shipping, and a $20 repair bill from fuji... i had to send it in for the repair since the lcd screen did not work... 3 months later its all good now!

i dont like the fact it doesnt take a picture when you push the button, it has like a half sec delay. But the xd pic card is ecxellent.. very fast and SUPER small.

Here is a pic straight from the camera... this is 2mega pixels so you can decide what you need

i hope there was a driver in that car!!!!

well for some reason they reduced the quality.... you can only tell if you zoom in though...... i guess this is only a rough idea....
    Last edited by krupted; September 20th, 2003 at 05:09 PM.

Have you considered that the delay is the camera focusing?
    Athlon 64 2800+
    1xWD 1200BB, 1xMaxtor 200GB SATA
    Asus K8N-E
    2x512MB Corsair XMS3200
    Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
    Radeon 9800 Pro, Dell 1801FP - WinTV Theater
    Sony CRX320E Combo Drive, Pioneer A04
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro - Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical
    Win XP Pro SP2

Originally posted by wetling
    Have you considered that the delay is the camera focusing?
    That and it has to write to the XD card,if it were the FP2600 that stillused SmartMedia the pause would greater.

The delay between pushing the shutter release and snapping the picture has nothing to do with the card write or speed. You can avoid some of the delay by pre-focusing – holding the shutter halfway. What does have to do with the card write is the delay before you can snap another picture if the camera has a poor buffer.

If you are planning to buy a card avoid xD as they are pricey. CF is the best bet for price/performance. SM is also cheap but slow and obsolete. Card size has nothing to do with camera size until you get down to the size of something that will fit in an Altoids tin. The Canon S400 is about the smallest 4Mp on the market with a 3X optical lens and it uses CF. Not suggesting the camera as it is out of your price range, it is just a good example of using CF in a small camera.

Back when it was a current camera PC Magazine chose the Coolpix 2500 as their small camera of choice in a large article on digital cameras. They based it on features and optical quality. The rotating lens allows you to take candids and pictures over your head or near the ground. I don’t like not having a viewfinder other than the LCD though. It comes with a NiMH battery and charger plus uses CF cards. It is small enough to slip in your pocket.

The Fuji 303 and Oly 560 are both excellent little cameras and have 3Mp, but the xD cards are pricier than CF and you have to buy a charger and batteries. The Fuji has a manual mode but not much you can use it for with a max ½ second exposure where the Oly has 2 second exposures with noise reduction for decent night shots. The Oly has a panorama mode that coordinates well with the software for making panos where you have to use manual mode on the Fuji and set up your own panos – no big deal. The Oly has a larger LCD, which is a consideration since all of the settings are done in the LCD. In balance I would take the Oly. And I would spend the extra bucks for 3Mp.

the camea itself has a delay. I can prefocus, no flash, whatever, and yet it still has a momentary pause between when i push the button all the way and when the shutter actually clicks. It first flashes the pic onto a small internal memory chip- then writes to xd.... the card is not the problem..

its difficult to catch moving things in a specific act.... it doesnt really blurr, but you just cant get the timing right

Thread Information