I/O CRC errors
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: I/O CRC errors

Hybrid View

I/O CRC errors

While trying to install "Half-Life Counter Strike" I get an I/O error message, and when I try to install "Battlefield 1942", I get a CRC error.

Could the problem be my video card? Other games work fine with it. My video card is a GeForce 4 Extasy

Thanks in advance,

Natisha

State complete error messages, as displayed.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

If from install discs, try cleaning the cds or looking for scratches, since other games work fine i assume your cd lens is clean.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

Do you get the msg when you try to install CStrike from the downloaded file (the large ~100 MB file) or when you try to install Half Life from the CD?

Usually CRC errors are pretty bad (ie, file is completely useless), you need to download the file again if you got it off the 'net. If you get the error from a CD, it's probably scratched or dirty, which may or may not be fixable.
    "I will show you fear in a handful of dust."

Thanks for all the input.

I will write the error message down tonight.

Of note, it is being installed off of a CD. However, the CD works in other computers.

Natisha

the CRC error with BF1942 is more than likely caused by your CDROM struggling to read the CD because of the copy protection used on it.

I had the same problem with GTA VC - couldn't install it until I turned off DMA mode on my CD ROM drive.

If you don't know how to do this tell us what version of Windows you have and I'll point you in the right direction.

If you were installing HLCS from a CD it might help this too, if it was from a file then as already suggested you probably need to re-download it.

If turning off DMA doesn't help, try updating your CDROM's firmware.

Hope this helps
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

Thanks!

Actually, I may have discovered my problem. The power supply I was using is only 100 w, and is inadequate for my new (had 1 week) motherboard. I upgraded the power supply and thus far, knock on wood, things are moving smoothly. I guess I should have thought about that, but I thought I would have had more problems than just a couple of faulty games......hm........

blimey, I'm surprised your PC could even run

a hamster in a wheel chucks out more than 100 watts
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

Yes, that was alittle embarrasing to admit to

The problem was either due to that, or that there was some "bad memory". Either way, the problem is resolved now...yeah!!!!

thanks for all your help!

Thread Information