problem with half life...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: problem with half life...

problem with half life...

iv been having a problem with half life ever since i set up my new comp, the main problem being IT WONT WORK!! my system specs are:
    athlon XP 2600 w/ 333fsb
    abit nf7-s rev 2
    2X 256 corsair xms pc 2700
    radeon 9700 np
    wd 120 gig 7200 rpm
    windows xp pro w/ sp1
    nforce drivers 2.03
    catalist 3.6

i had the game running on my old comp, using the same vodeo card, so i dont think thats the problem. it only crashes when i go to start ANY game using direct x and open gl, using any resolution. it crashes to desktop as soon as i click "play." i cant get this game to work, can anyone help me? pleeeeeeeese??

the problem is XP

in my case it does work in d3d, but if I go from playing the game back to main menu, returning to game results in black screen, so the game has to be restarted

quick-save doesnt leed you to main menu if you are in single player mode, so the game is still playable, but only just

but it worked perfectly on my old comp, aa at 6X af at 16X and 100 fps. and it had the same version of xp as on this comp, i can get it to run in software mode, but that looks like ***... does the compatibility modes really work?? i guess il try that next...

have you updated to the latest version? If you're running the basic 1.0.0.5 it won't work in XP

I'm running 1.1.1.0 in XP in D3D and it's fine, I don't think it's even in compatiblity mode.

Having said that I did get "stuck" in the lift at the end of 'We've got hostiles' - managed to get around it by switching to software mode until I was out of the lift, then back into D3D - worth knowing in case you get the same problem
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

yes i am running all of the latest patches, including the ati fix. i guess il try instaling steam again and geting all the patches from that... thanks for thie input!!

Thread Information