Router can't restart DSL modem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Router can't restart DSL modem

Router can't restart DSL modem

I have a DSL modem and a Linksys NAT router here at work, and everything works well as long as the DSL modem stays powered up. However, we occasionally have a circuit breaker that trips, and all the computers in our office, as well as the DSL modem and router, lose power. Once power gets restored, none of the computers can connect to the Internet, until I connect my computer directly to the DSL modem, launch Internet Explorer to load just one web page, then reconnect the DSL modem to the router and my computer back into the rest of our LAN. Once I have "restarted" the DSL modem like this, all the computers can now access the Internet again. I have tried things in the router's web based interface, such as releasing and renewing the IP address. Also, my DSL modem has an "Internet" light that needs to come on (showing that it has gone through its internal login proceedure), which sometimes takes a little while to come on when it is still connected to the router. However, even after it does come on, the Internet connection still doesn't work until I do my own little restart proceedure. I remember having to do this the first time I setup the DSL as well, so this is the way it has been since the beginning. Surely there must be some setting in the router that will make it re-activate the DSL modem by itself but I haven't been able to find it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Matt

check your PPPoE settings:

http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html

I don't think that my DSL is using PPPoE. I have heard bad things about this type of connection, and in the past 2 years, I have setup 4 different DSL modems, all using the same provider (SBC, or AT&T now I guess). In all 4 cases, I needed to use the software they provided to "setup" the DSL modem (give it whatever login info it needs). After that though, any computer I plug into the modem is able to connect with no further problems. In fact, I used a temporary install of Win2k to get my modem working, since I don't like all the other nonsense the software installs. It was a slight hassle, but I only had to do it once.

I think I saw some DSL installations many years ago that did have some kind of login software that needed to be installed on the computer in order to use the Internet. To me, that sounds more like what PPPoE was, and that is why I didn't get DSL for many years. Besides, the computer I use to restart the modem at work doesn't have any special software installed on it. I only use it because I know what cable to unplug in the back of our hub.

Matt

why don't you put the modem/router on a UPS?

heh, funny you should mention that. There is a UPS there in the room, right next to the DSL modem and router. Trouble is, all the plugs are in use. If all else fails, that is what I might have to do.

Thread Information