Onboard or PCI networking card?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Onboard or PCI networking card?

Onboard or PCI networking card?

My mobo has an onboard ethernet port, like many do. I was wondering what the best performance option would be regarding the internet connection. Would using the onboard be best, or should I upgrade to a PCI card?

My understanding of the differences is that the on-board connection would be faster.

The bus for the on-board NIC, CSA interface, is a dedicated one that would not rely on the PCI bus which may have several already connected and in use devices, such as mouse/keyboard etc. In addition, it would be directly connected to the Northbridge bus, eliminating data loss from having to pass through both Northbridge and Southbridge.

Paul
    ....my get-up-and-go musta got up and went....

you might as well stick with onboard. if it's not CSA (Intel), then it's still on the pci bus anyway. just because it's onboard, doesn't mean it doesn't use the pci bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    you might as well stick with onboard. if it's not CSA (Intel), then it's still on the pci bus anyway. just because it's onboard, doesn't mean it doesn't use the pci bus.
    True, just noticed his sig, I see he is using AMD processor so the CSA would not apply. Don't know that much about AMD MB's, but if there is no dedicated bus for on-board, then of course it would be using the PCI bus.

Paul
    ....my get-up-and-go musta got up and went....

Thread Information