ALL in Wonder or Regular ATI Card & Separate TV Tuner
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: ALL in Wonder or Regular ATI Card & Separate TV Tuner

Hybrid View

ALL in Wonder or Regular ATI Card & Separate TV Tuner

my friend is building a new rig and i am helping him out.

i have an ati radeon 9000 card and a leadtek tv tuner and everything works peachy.

but i was wondering is getting an ATI all in wonder card better than separating the two?

from what i hear the ati tv tuners arent that good themselves.

any feedback?
    p4 2.4ghz@2.82ghz 512 hyperx3000
    gigabyte 8pe667ultra mobo
    2 WD 80gb 8mb cache HD
    Antec PlusView Case & 430W TruePower
    ati radeon 9000pro
    soundblaster live & maudio Delta 2496
    PioneerDVD slot loader-Plextor CD/RW
    21" dell Trinitron monitor
    logitech mx700 &Leadtek TV Tuner
    and a partridge in a pear tree coming soon: ati 9800, m-audio revolution, plextor dvd burner.....down the road prescott Q2 2004 when i go bonkers!

i have an all-in-wonder 7500 and a friend with a 8500DV.. and we both like the "extra" features of these cards.

i do however wish i had just gotten a tv-tuner and card, separate. cause it cost the same for the all-in-wonder 7500 (at the time) as it would have cost for a 8500le.. sure i would of had to spring for the extra cash to get a tv-tuner, but at least when i wanted to upgrade next i'd just be buying just a regular card and not an expensive all-in-wonder.

personally from doing it myself and realizing i do like playing new games more often then watching tv on my computer, i'd say get 2 separate cards, it may cost you a bit more at first, but you don't feel as bad when you upgrade next. i know that's what i'm doing next at least.
    Main
    AMD XP-M 2500+ @ 2200 (200x11), 1.65v Thermalright SK-7 w/ Thermaltake Smart fan2 Abit NF7-S v2.0, Forceware 5.10 OCZ 1.5gb OCZ PC3200 2.5-3-3-10 Radeon 9800XT 128mb w/ Zalman VF-700cu Maxtor 250gb SATA HD LG DVD-RWPioneer 10x DVD Enlight 7250 w/ 2 80mm Enermax Noisetaker EG495P-VE SFMA Logitech Z2300 Speakers Samsung 753DF WinXP Pro SP2 DX9.0c

Certifed: MCSA, A+, Linux+, Security+, Net+

drzaius2:

i'd say get 2 separate cards, it may cost you a bit more at first, but you don't feel as bad when you upgrade next. i know that's what i'm doing next at least.

Same here

Yup, two is definitely a better way to go, especially if you like to game. If you like the specific ATi features though then they have a Tuner/capture card for $125 that has all the features of the new AIWs. Apart from remote, that's separate.

It's still a more flexible solution that is worth the extra money for convenience and will save you in the long-run. Like buying hifi separates rather than successive midi systems. When it comes to upgrade time you can get exactly what you want.

Bennyboy.
    If you've got your money for nothing, who cares if the chicks are free!

I'm going for the combo. The price is only about $50 extra for the Radeon 9700Pro version and it comes with the remote and all the cables needed including the dongle and the componant video cables (which you will have trouble getting any other way). Plus they use the new TV-200 chip, so if you have one of their older TV Wonder cards (like I do) you can use both for a picture in picture features. They also come with a good stck of programs for editting videos and such. Its tough to beat the combo.

As for the TV Wonder VE I have. It is actually a pretty good cheap TV tuner card I picked up on sale for $30. The only thing I do not like is it is mono only. ATI has updated the software rather well and I can now record directly to WMV at 640x480. The cable guide they use is very handy.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information