when doom 3 comes out
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: when doom 3 comes out

when doom 3 comes out

Just wondering how everyone thinks my computer will run it. The only problem I can think of would be the processor, but even that isn't too bad. Just wondering if I might be ablt to get all full quality.

Windows XP
    AMD Athlon 1200
    SDRam 768mb PC 133
    Sounds Blaster Live 5.1 Platinum
    GeForce 2 Pro 64mb (this will be upgraded probably in the fall to whatever the best high end gaming card that is readily available then (I probably won't go with the most expensive option, 2nd or 3rd maybe)

Is the expected release date still around December this year?

oh and the motherboard is an Abit KT7a. I built my comp a few years ago and surprisingly it's still not too outdated yet. Adding 512 more ram to it really sped it up.

You should be able to run it but certainly not at full quality. I nkow I'll be doing a big upgrade before it comes out (probably in September or around the release of HL2
    P4 2.8 800FSB
    Gigabyte 8IK1100
    Corsair 2 x 256MB Matched PC3200
    Built by ATI 9800 Pro
    Leadtek 2000XP Deluxe
    Segate 80Gig Barracuda IV x2
    Pioneer DVD Rom
    Pioner DVD+-RW 106D
    Windows XP Home
    Antec 1080 AMG
    Antec 430Watt Truepower supply
    19" LG Studioworks 900B
    D-Link DSL-200 modem
    512k ASDL connection

So is that before or after upgrading the vid card?

I would think having SDRAM would be your biggest hindrance, regardless of a video card upgrade. Honestly, one would only be able to guess how well your (or anyone's) system would handle a game that isn't out yet. Taking that into consideration, not only do I think you won't be able to run it smoothly with full detail and a nice resolution, but I doubt seriously if I will be able to either. Here are my pertinent specs:

PIV 2.4 Northwood
    512MB PC2100
    GF4 Ti4200

Again, we're talking guesswork here, maybe a nice video card will be the only stringent requirement. Id is flat-out the best when it comes to engine optimization. But given the demands of recent games I've played, I am still very skeptical.

My system is about the same as yours but with a 1.333 Athlon 512 pc133 and a radeon 9500pro.
    You'll definetely need to upgrade the videocard.
    I had a Radeon 7500 pro64 previosly on this system which is probably equal to or more powerful than your GeForce 2 Pro and the doom3 demo was hardly bareable moving at just a few fps. It was more like watching a slideshow. Now with my Radeon 9500pro the framerates increase tenfold and is actually playable at low resolutions which is great as far as i'm concerned concidering it was a very early demo. So you will definetely need a new videocard and i'd say the cpu after that and then ram. Upping your processing power by a ghz or so would benifit you much more than changing to ddr imo. pc133 isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.

Re: when doom 3 comes out

Originally posted by Dan W
    Just wondering how everyone thinks my computer will run it. The only problem I can think of would be the processor, but even that isn't too bad. Just wondering if I might be ablt to get all full quality.

Windows XP
    AMD Athlon 1200
    SDRam 768mb PC 133
    GeForce 2 Pro 64mb (this will be upgraded probably in the fall to whatever the best high end gaming card that is readily available then (I probably won't go with the most expensive option, 2nd or 3rd maybe)

Is the expected release date still around December this year?
    honestly, with these
    AMD Athlon 1200---hmm..
    SDRam 768mb PC 133---major bottleneck major
    GeForce 2 Pro 64mb----even worse bottle neck....

you might be able to run it at 640*480 16bit low detail.

i would recommend a:

athlon 1700b
    512 pc2700~3000~3200
    radeon 9500 pro( with the piss OCed out of it)

i've tweaked and played the beta release of doom3
    it takes a pretty fast machine to run it.
    the main rig in my sig runs it pretty well..1280*1024 24bit
    i can usually drop at 35fps...using GL or GL2.0

sam.
    Main BoxAthlon 64 FX-53 @2.4ghz| 2GB HyperX
    PC4000 | Asus A8V-Delx. | BFG 6800U | 2xWD Raptor 74Gb raid 0| Audigy2 | Dell 19" LCD FPM | XP Pro
    Linux Box -Athlon 64 2800 | MSI K8T NEO |
    9700p | SB Live! Value | 80Gb Seagate Barracuda | Sony DL DVDRW | Ubuntu 64bit
    LaptopDell 600M 1.5Ghz Cent. | 512mb | DVDRW
    Mac G5 Dual 2.3Ghz | 4Gb Ram | Radeon 9650 | 250Gb sata | Dell 19" Flat CRT

I don't don't think you need to worry bout that now. Only worry when and if it comes out. It has been slow going and each year we hear its gonna be here at the end of the year. And yet no Doom 3. Hell, even Half Life 2 is apon us and no one expected it to be out so soon. So who cares bout Doom 3 now when Half Life 2 is gonna be as good or maybe even better. But we will wait and see.
    EPOX EP9NPA+
    AMD 64 3000+
    2x 512mb Samsung DDR 400
    80gb Western Digital
    Benq DvD Writer
    LG Combo
    19" Mag Innovision CRT
    GeForce 6600GT
    Windows XP Pro SP1

Ack! I'm on a crappy on-board GeForce 2 MX /w only 32MB of shared video ram!!

Last I heard, GeForce Ti would be the min requirement...
    Spent some quality time with the demon of mine,
    "I like the way you struggle, but you know I'm here to win"

Im preparing to build for this fall already myself.

I wont be able to fork out the money for everything so Im starting now.

I just bought a Raidmax Case with acrylic window and 10 Drive bays from newegg for 52bucks.

It comes with a 350W ps but I have a 400w that is going in when I get it.

In a couple weeks Im ordering a pair of SATA drives (120G) Seagate Barracudas 7200.7. (I was thinking of getting a pair of WD raptors but I cant see the $ for only 36G each). I am planning on running these in Raid 0

After that Ill spend a couple months putting in fans etc.

A Radeon 9700 PRO will be going in from my current system and possibly the Audigy depending on which setup has the least CPU utilization.

Ill be saving around 400.00+ USD for mainboard/chip/ram depending on the news of Athlon 64 in the fall.

If performance is really bad, I am prepared to buy another Graphics card also (uggh...another 300-400 bucks) and leave the 9700 back in the current system-Ill set up a 2 system lan then.

Supposedly ATI has somthing coming out this fall that will be 2x faster than a 9800 PRO...

If it turns out the game is playable on my system or gets delayed, Ill either throw in a Nforce2 and a Barton cored xp with DDR 3500 or just let the darn thing sit in the closet with the drives and powersupply until its needed....
    Nforce 2 Mobo-oem stock
    Athlon Xp3000-Stock
    768 mgs PC2100 @ 2.5/3/3
    Radeon 9700 PRO/365/342
    Western Digital 8mg cache ATA-133/160G/7200 HD
    Win XP Home SP1
    19" KDS "Extreme Flat"

Laptop
    Athlon 64 3200+
    512mg Ram
    Mobile Radeon 9600
    80G Hard Drive

These are my specs, and even I am doing a major upgrade for the ultimate Doom 3 experience.

Pentium 4 2.4B
    512 MB PC800 RDRAM
    60 7200 rpm Maxtor
    128 mb Ti4200
    Soundblaster LIVE!

The specs I'm hoping to be running in about 3 weeks:
    Athlon 2400+ Thoroghbred (Unlocked and overclocked)
    512 mb DDR400 2x256 chips dual channel
    ASUS nForce2 motherboard
    ATI 9700 Pro overclocked with voltage mod

I'm basically doing a full changeover from Intel/Nvidia to AMD/ATI

Don't get me wrong though: For Doom 3 if you want the ultimate experience, I highly recommend a 2.6-2.8C Pentium 4 paired with either a 9800 Pro or a 5900 Ultra, depending on what you can afford. if you can afford the 5900 Ultra, then get it, hands down it wins, but if you can't, then don't pass up a higher speed processor for a better videocard.

The reason I'm going with the AMD/ATI pair is because the 9700 Pro is going to hit a price drop soon, (otherwise I'll get the 9700 Gold) and the 2400+ is already cheap enough, and way more easy to overclock than a 2.4B.

OK thanks I think I am going to be upgrading more than just the vid card in the fall then. If I upgrade the processor by much then I will definetly have to get a new MB and with that comes the ram as well.

So
    -whatever a good amd processor is at the time (around $200 - $250 price range)
    -best motherboard to go with said processor
    -1 GB DDR ram (whatever the speed is up to at that time)
    -decent video card (not the best out there, but maybe 2nd or third best or so - I'm not planning on spending $400-500 for one)

As for slow frame rates on the alpha version I would imagine the game will be way faster and more compatible once it is completed so a lot of things that have trouble w/ the demo will have less or no trouble when the actual games is out.

Anyhow, hopfully with that rig I should be up to speed again. Right now my computer runs every game I have or want to play at full detail or at least near full so I can wait a little while longer.

Dan,

Hey Augusta Ga here.

With the prices of the Canterwood chipsets and the great deal on the 2.4C P4 at newegg, dont limit yourself to just AMD setups. Its no longer the best 'bang for the buck" when you will be able to upgrade from your 2.4c to a 3.2c MINIMUM over the life of that setup.

Wait a bit though. AMD may release Ath64 yet this fall, which will be better than anything in the Intel bucket (IMO it will still be better than prescott for gaming).

And if its not or if its too expensive, the WORST thing that will have happened is that you will get your Nforce2/Barton or Canterwood/800mhz fsb p4 for a LOT LESS $ by then.
    Nforce 2 Mobo-oem stock
    Athlon Xp3000-Stock
    768 mgs PC2100 @ 2.5/3/3
    Radeon 9700 PRO/365/342
    Western Digital 8mg cache ATA-133/160G/7200 HD
    Win XP Home SP1
    19" KDS "Extreme Flat"

Laptop
    Athlon 64 3200+
    512mg Ram
    Mobile Radeon 9600
    80G Hard Drive

Hello to my fellow Georgia person.

I've looked at pricewatch and yep the Intel chips are cheaper than they were a while back and the AMD is a bit more. Maybe I will consider otherwise then I have a while to research fortunately.

Thread Information