Trying to get DOS games to run on Win98
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Trying to get DOS games to run on Win98

Angry Trying to get DOS games to run on Win98

I am having trouble getting the following DOS based games to run (win 98 os):

Ravenloft Strahd's Possession
    Darksun
    Darksun 2
    Master of Magic

I have tried numerous things including altering my autoexec.bat and config.sys files. Entries for these are listed at the bottom of the post.

At this point I am wondering about "Dual Boot"? I have partitioned 4 drives: a 9 gig drive, and 1.3, 1.3, 1.3

Could I set up my computer in such a way as to make one of the partitioned drives act completely independent and have DOS installed on it? I have seen some programs at cnet.com that could assist, I am just having trouble understanding the whole concept. Until a few days ago I did not know how to do many things like format a computer or partition a drive.

Any information on this would be appreciated.

About the Ravenloft game, I can get it to run but no matter how I configure the sound settings it will only play either music or sound. My soundblaster is at irq 11 but the game only allows settings below that irq such as 5, 7, 10. Perhaps I could change the irq on my soundblaster? I can run either the game music with a Roland something at 330 address, or with the soundblaster at 220 address and 5 irq.

Below I have detailed my efforts to make the games work:

Made boot disk, boot to dos
    Run in windows out of DOS window
    Toggle Memory settings in properties of program icon in windows
    Loaded DOS mouse drivers
    Altered autoexec.bat file for mouse drivers with following lines:
    AMOUSE/1
    LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.COM

Full readout of my Config.sys:
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM D=64 H=255
    FILES=100
    PRIORITY_DISK_IO=NO
    DOS_HIGH=ON
    DOS_RMSIZE=640
    DPMI_MEMORY_LIMIT=0
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    BUFFERS=20

A lot of old games requires more extended memory than windows allows. Even in the days of DOS, I still needed to use a boot disk to get some games to work (X-Wing & TIE-Fighter were the worst). A DOS boot disk should do the trick

You may have to disable ACPI and move your sound card to another IRQ to get it to work. You'll likely also have trouble finding compatible drivers... But who knows, the new SBs might just be backwards compatible with the old SB16 drivers, hehe. good luck!
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

Possible elaboration on "disable ACPI and move your sound card to a different irq"?

Also if anyone has advice on dual boot? I am thinking that might help me. I tried boot disks, whatever the problem is it runs deeper than that or I am doing something wrong.

Still not working I have two more options of course, try dual boot or use an older computer.

I was unable to get the emulator DOSbox to correct my problems even though it has worked for other people, there is something very strange about my system.
    Game and corresponding error message:

Master of Magic w/ Emulator
    File-> findcd.c, Line-> 56 Could not locate CD

Master of Magic normal DOS
    You need 2700 (unit) conventional memory

Darksun
    Loads a black screen with large gray numbers then cuts out

Darksun2
    Mel Fatal Error #: 26 Trap #: 16
    Mel Real Mode
    Version 2.2.5, 4/28/94
    Error Message: DSP Detect Fail

Ravenloft w/ Emulator
    Protected mode not supported (understood)

Ravenloft w/ DOS
    Sound issues

Every device on your computer is assigned an interrupt (IRQ)address that is used when software accesses it. Sometimes things can share IRQs, but sound cards are notoriously difficult to get along with.

The problem is that there aren't enough IRQs to go around and it became such a problem that ACPI was created that allowed all devices to share a single IRQ, which is probably what you're using with windows. Also, windows is plug and play and reassigns all the IRQs- with DOS, you have to do it manually, else bios will arbitrarily assign them. If ACPI is enabled in bios, bios will assign all the devices to one IRQ. But you probably have to disable it to get your sound card on an IRQ by itself. You may have to go into bios and play around with the IRQ asignments (you can usually manually force an IRQ on a physical slot- make sure nothing else is sharing the IRQ that your sound card is)
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

I'm saving your post to a file Grover Good stuff

I am planning on installing masterbooter so I can run windows 98 SE on one drive and MS-DOS by itself on another drive.

Last time I tried to partition I could only set up one Primary Partition (Active) and an Extended Partition with Logical drives. I am not sure if MrBooter will let me use the Extended Partition for its own operating system.

I am reading the Masterbooter documentation and it is very interesting in a way, but does anyone know why I am having trouble making more than 1 primary partition? And also can I format the Extended Partition space without effecting the Primary Partition which I already have windows 98 on?

I've been able to run almost all of the old DOS games I have while remaining in Windows 98 by doing the following. Right click the game's executable, click properties, program tab, advanced. Check box titled "Prevent MS-DOS based program from detecting Windows", and uncheck "Suggest MS-DOS mode as necessary". After doing this, a .PIF file will be created, and it is this "shortcut" that you will use to start the game. Just this alone has worked 99% of the time for me.

You can also modify particular memory and driver settings using this method individually for each game by going to the appropriate tab if necessary, which I think you already mentioned doing.

Check out this link, it should be helpful in getting those old DOS games up & running:
    http://www.the-underdogs.org/faq2.php#d

Home of the Underdogs specializes in downloads of older DOS games and offers a wealth of info on getting them to function, as well as slowdown utilities etc. You might even find the games you mention listed there, and specific fixes/workarounds.

Old games are hard to get working nowadays (as you very well know).

Base memory optimisation was done via 'memmaker'. As in DOS memmaker.

Other problem is windows IRQ rerouting. The best way to deal with this is read the IRQ numbers from the device listing after POST. This gives the BIOS level IRQ, since windows using steering DOS games cannot find soundcards/CDROMS etc.

I think PIF files are the best way to go.. create your own custom run once DOS session. Changing your autoexec and config.sys in your root drive won't do much since windows loads all sorts secretly!

Oh, and I was a fan of Master of Magic....great game!

Thread Information