What to get for $80? - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to get for $80?

Nvidia 5200
    Technology increases at a parabolic curve upward.

OOPS! I thaught he had a GeForce2 GTS, not an MX. Yah $20 is about all you'd get. I'd wait if you couldn't spend the extra money. A Radeon 8500LE might work for you, but you really will likely be looking to upgrade again in 6 months. Just set aside $5 a week until you can get a better card. HL2 is supposed to be a Christmas release (I'll feel stupid if it is already out, but I don't track the games as much as the hardware). Set your upgrade for closer to that release date and get save up a little bit of money each week.

I used to have $50 a week going into a savings acount that went for my kid's pre-school, birthdays, and Christmas, but anything left over was MINE!!! Also after the credit card was paid off and money was set aside for the sommer's major vacation (Disney World last year), I got the rest of the tax returns. I did well this year. I got new speekers, motherboard, memory, CPU, heatsink, case mod stuff, hard drive, and wireless keyboard/mouse. All totalled I probably blew about $600 in the last 6 months. To think We only cleared $45,000 between me and my wife and we own a $120,000+ home and have 3 very small children (1, 3, and 5). Plus we are getting devorced and I keep almost everything (including a 60% custody of the kids). I will likely clear about $30,000 or so this year, but I figure I have another $400 to go in upgrades (new graphics card for my main machine and some mod stuff, sound card, and hard drive for my third computer) thanks to the new tax credit that passed. Then there's the new refrigerator and furnace I need to get this year. I'm just good with money, I guess.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Smile

Hi,
    I've got a Geforce3 Ti200 64MB for sale. Its a visiontek ecstacy, one of the rare samples that Overclock to Ti500 specs easily. The card also has a serial out. You can let me know if interested. The card plus shipping would fit right into you budget.
    Regards, MPH
    MPH

I guess that would be a good card too. NewwEgg has one for new for $79 (free shipping):

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...fer=pricewatch

This is a GainWard Golden Sample with TV out and should overclock nicely. It will beat a Radeon 8500LE (especially when overclocked). Plus it looks cool with a read PCB and heatsink (including RAM sinks).

If you you want to look a bit harder I have found a few smaller places off PriceWatch that had iot for $65. This is one:

http://www.compuvest.com/web/Descrip...sp?ItemID=1827

It has an older VisionTek one. VisionTek (I hope I got the right company) of course closed its doors for a while and sold out. Then it re-openned as an ATI only company, so you will not get any warrenty or support, but nVidia drivers are always being upgraded and for $56 plus $6.50 shipping is a pretty good deal for a new card.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

A gf3ti200 is not faster than a ti8500. And, if you can overclock the ti200, you can surely overclock the ti8500 too.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Thread Information