new graphics card, do I mess with driver?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: new graphics card, do I mess with driver?

new graphics card, do I mess with driver?

This is a simple question but I just want to be sure...
    I am updating my graphics card from a GeForce3 Ti500 to a GeForce4 Ti4200. Since both use the same )detonator) driver do I need to do anything (besides the obvious hardware change)?
    Thanks!

AMD XP2100+
    1024 MB ram
    Soyo SY-K7V Dragon + MB
    XP Pro

To avoid problems, it's probably best you uninstall your current video drives before making the switch. Then, using the latest Detonator drivers from nVidia, install your new card.

Thanks for the advise.
    So let me get this straight:
    Download latest drivers
    Remove current drivers (via device manager)
    Install latest drivers
    shut computer down
    exchange old video card for new
    turn on computer.....

Not exactly sure wht now, I suspect windows will do something noticing the harware change.
    Am I correct or do I need to reboot after removing the old drivers?

Un-install drivers, power down, install card, power up, and install newest drivers.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

What Todd a said

thanks!

I finally got my card (after a little snafu) I have a inno3D GeForce Ti4800SE. The install and everything went fine. But I get nothing on the screen when I hook the DVI out to DVI in on the monitor. I plugged in the analog cable (card analog out to monitor analog in) and the monitor and card works fine. I made sure and changed the monitor under the device manager from "Dell analog" to "Dell digital" (I was prevoisly inputting into analog as my prevous card did not have DVI support). I went to the NVIDIA control panel and it does not give me the option for a digital monitor (only analog). The DVI cable that came with the monitor is 19 pins (2 sets of 9 with 1 wide at the end). I notice the output on the card as well as the monitor itself is 25 pins - female (24 little pins and 1 wide at the end) - the card out put actually has an additional 4 little pins around the wide one.
    Could it be that this cable won't work at all. Did I need to get another?I've restared my system a few times thinking that a reboot my be necessary after I made changes but still no picture. It seems that my system is starting up fine, just nothing coming from the DVI output (or the cable isn'y conveying it to the monitor. But shouldn't I be ableto have "digital monitor" an option on the NVIDIA control panel?
    HELP

Any reason anybody can think of why the DVI output on the card doesn't seem to be putting out ?

Thread Information