Thinking about building a "quiet pc"
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about building a "quiet pc"

Thinking about building a "quiet pc"

Anyone here ever gone through the trouble/expense of buying the so called "quiet pc" cases and parts? I love to overclock, but at the same time I keep my pc in the bedroom and it runs pretty much 24/7. So all the fans can be a bit annoying at times. The review of cases in the thread above mentioned a Lian Li case that's supposed to be quiet, but it didn't get a good score. Does anyone have suggestions for any particular cases? Are there any cases out there that are NOT marketed as "quiet cases", which cost a fortune, but tend to be more on the quiet side anyway? Any advice appreciated.

Suggest a search in Google for something like "quiet PC", and you'll find lots of suggestions (in addition to cases) for all manner of quiet to silent. In fact, you can Search this forum for same as well. Lots of us love quiet!

Good luck!

Quietpcusa.com, acoustiproducts.com, pcsilent.com, etc. Yes, I've checked them. I was looking for some personal opinions or recommendations from our members, and not just the sales pitches these web sites throw at you. Thanks for the tip though.

Understand

While I have found some pretty unbiased sites, here's local HWC search result, number of pages:

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...der=descending

Hope they help!
    Last edited by xroyal; June 6th, 2003 at 12:32 PM.

if you want it quiet then water cooling is pretty much the best way to make it silent. he's not been seen for a good while but bladerunner made a completely watercooled pc, psu and all
    trout are freshwater fish and have underwater weapons
    trout are very valuable and immensely powerful
    keep away from the trout

I figured on going with one of those Zalman flower coolers for the cpu. The idea of putting water inside a computer always scared me. The first thing on my list though is finding a good case! I'm a little too lazy to bother with trying to mod a case to make it quieter, so I just want to buy a good quiet case out of the box. Oddly enough, the loudest component of my existing setup is my vid card fan. That little sucker is loud as hell. I'm gonna have to find a giant heat sink to slap on there instead of a fan if I use it in my next case.

Quiet PC

Greetings,

I am using the ZalmanCNPS 6000 Cu, copper flower type cooler. Comes with an adjustable speed 92mm fan. CPU temps with an Athlon 1900+ never over 49C. Very quiet system and easy to install.

Planning building my new quiet system with either the Antec Sonata or Antec 3700 series cases. Both use 120 mm cooling fans. They move a lot of air quietly.

Hope this helps.

David.
    XP 1900+ AGOGA Stepping
    COOLERMASTER AERO 7 LITE
    GA-7 VT600-L
    KINGSTON HyperX 512MB PC2700
    Abit Siluro FX5200 128mb
    WD800JB

I went with the side of my case being open, two 2500 rpm fans, one for the cpu, one that blows over the cpu fan then a 1'6x1'6x2' sound enclosure around the case made of plastic laminate on 3/4" particle board and acoustical tile liner within with 2" slit at back top for heat to excape and a 6"x8' dryer vent to draw cool air in the case positioned to center on the 2nd fan from 8' feet away. I drop the front panel of the sound enclosure down to the floor for drive access, then back up again. The 2 inch slit at back allowed too much noise to escape so use a baffle system to muffle that sound. Kind of a car muffler approach.
    Last edited by evetsrim1; June 6th, 2003 at 05:23 PM.
    Technology increases at a parabolic curve upward.

My comps are in my bed room too and I built my latest XP2200+ comp as a "quiet pc".

It has a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 420W PSU.
    3 Case fans are Ys-Tech 20 dBa 80mm.
    HDD is a Maxtor DiamondMax + 8 - very quiet.
    Copper Heatpipe heatsink with an akasa 60>80mm adapter and coolermaster Led fan(<25dBa)

It runs at 50C core temp on an ABit KD7E mobo. But it's in a pre-modded case with a neon light. I think really it needs a better ventilated case, this one only has one fan in front, one top blowhole, and one at the rear. Compared to my TBird though it hums quietly in the background and I can sleep through it no problem.

PS - That's the internal diode btw, the socket temp is usually around 41C.
    Last edited by Aunty Em; June 6th, 2003 at 06:13 PM.
    PC #1: AMD Barton 2500+ | Jet 7 Cooler | ABit KV7 KT600 | 1GB Corsair PC2700 | Maxtor 40GB Diamond 8+ x2 | 80GB Maxtor SATA HDD | 128MB ATi Radeon 9200 | Thermaltake Xazer III Case with window | 420W Thermaltake SilentPower PSU | 2K Pro SP4

PC #2: AMD 1GB @ 1.33 | ABit KT7a v1.3 | 512GB PC133 | Maxtor 40GB Diamond 8+ | 64MB ATi Radeon 7500 | 2K Pro SP4

PC #3: Acer Aspire 1682WLMi Centrino 725 1.6GHz | 512MB | 60GB | 64MB ATi Radeon 9700 | DVD-Double Layer | WLAN | 15.4" | XPH Sp2

I use quiet Enermax 80x80 adjustable fans as exhaust and on SK7 copper sink, now about 2200 RPMs. Current room temp = 78, and my CPU temp is 37C/case 31C.

Put some foam, or some sound resistant foam around the whole case with watercooling, because that stuff could get into the fans.

Zalman has lots of VERY good products (CPU, chipset, and VGA cooler, fans fan controllers, and power supplies). Theyir P4 cooler is one of the best coolers on the market and dead silent.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Well, this is my part list so far:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu (CPU Cooler)

Zalman NB32J Northbridge (Passive Chipset HS)

Zalman Heatpipe ZM50-HP (Passive Video HS)

No Vibes III (Hard Drive Silencer)

Antec Sonata or Antec Performance II SX835II (Case)

Panflo or Zalman Models for case fans

Seagate Barracuda IV or V models for hard drives
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next I need some advice on a cool running CPU so all this low air flow stuff doesn't cause a BIG heat problem. Does anyone know which tends to run cooler, AMD or Intel CPU's, and which particular speed/core or whatever do I need? I haven't bought a CPU since the P3 700's were mainstream so I'm outa the loop. Thanks for the help

Due to several design differences,
    I would suspect that the Antec Sonata would be better choice.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

AMD or Intel

If you do not plan on OCing or OCing to aggressive levles the Zalman copper coolers do a great job of cooling the cpu effectively. The Zalman coolers do not do well if you plan on overcloclking. For quiet aggressive overclocling water cooling is the only way to go.

Thanks.
    XP 1900+ AGOGA Stepping
    COOLERMASTER AERO 7 LITE
    GA-7 VT600-L
    KINGSTON HyperX 512MB PC2700
    Abit Siluro FX5200 128mb
    WD800JB

Thread Information