Video Card for video editing?.....
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Video Card for video editing?.....

Video Card for video editing?.....

Need a video card for video editing that will allow possibly dual monitor support as well simultaneous s-video out to a tv monitor. This will only be used for video editing to dvd, so what would you guys recommend? I know that some of the Radeons support dual monitor and have svideo out, but we had no success running dual monitor with a separate tv screen for output viewing.
    Last edited by cr8250; June 12th, 2003 at 02:27 AM.
    AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    Foxconn 6100K8MA-RS
    Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 60GB
    1 GB OCZ PC3200
    Leadtek GeForce 6600GT
    Echo Gina
    HP Deskjet 5150
    Optiquest Q95 19"
    Windows XP Home

Then try a Matrox card .The Parhelia line has triple head (two monitors and Tv-out.
    Last edited by wonderinguy34; June 12th, 2003 at 08:01 AM.

Vieo editting does not tax the graphics card much. All you really need is a graphics card with video in (or leave the graphics card and just get a cheap'o TV tuner card). The dual monitor is on most of the better cards (and several cheaper ones now-a-days). TV out is also very common, buth both at the same time is now. Matrix has a card with 3 DVI out and addaptors to use CTR, but I'm not really sure it supports TV out. Their cards are pretty expensive.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I know both the Matrox G400 and G450 can output video overlay fullscreen to the TV-out, independantly of the overlay size seen on the monitor (i.e. a windowed 320x240 video on the monitor will appear fullscreen on the TV, independantly of the player settings). With that mode selected, there's nothing on the TV screen unless video is played on the computer.

This is IMO a very useful feature and it was made mainly to export video from the computer to a VCR, but helps greatly to make a preview of what your editing (especially titles) will look like on a TV screen.
    Last edited by equinoxe3d; June 12th, 2003 at 11:30 PM.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Thanks all for your suggestions. We will be using mostly firewire or usb2 for video capturing, so don't think we need any kind of "ins", but just concerned about multiple displays and I guess svideo out and composite, as well. The Matrox Parhella looks very tempting as the triple head design is quite versatile. Are there any issues with the drivers for the Matrox? How about using it with any of the Via chipsets (AMD cpus)?
    AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    Foxconn 6100K8MA-RS
    1 GB OCZ PC3200
    Leadtek GeForce 6600GT
    Echo Gina
    HP Deskjet 5150
    Optiquest Q95 19"
    Windows XP Home

Matrox, being a reputable professionally orientated company, has a reputation for solid reliable drivers.

has a reputation for solid reliable drivers
    Yeah, I figured, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks Bink.
    AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    Foxconn 6100K8MA-RS
    1 GB OCZ PC3200
    Leadtek GeForce 6600GT
    Echo Gina
    HP Deskjet 5150
    Optiquest Q95 19"
    Windows XP Home

Matrox has a forum monitored by staff for support issues.

http://forum.matrox.com/cgi-bin/mgaforum/Ultimate.cgi

I purchased an early version Parhelia and could not get Q3 to work on my soyo KT333 board. That is no real knock on Matrox cause I can not get an Asus Gf4 to capture video in (WDM Capture driver will not install). I suspect that my issues are with Soyo, or nVidia, or Via or a combination of them all.

Visit their forum and get a view of what problems show up.

Thread Information