What is a good case temperature?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good case temperature?

Question What is a good case temperature?

My case temps are running from about 43c at idle, to 47c when the cpu is under load. My cpu actually runs cooler then the case at idle (40c), and 57c under load. This is a P3 700 @ 945 (stock voltage). I think the big culprit is my scsi drive. I opened my case yesterday and the damn thing was almost too hot to touch. Since the scsi drive sits down at the bottom of the 3.5" drive cage, all that heat needs to go right up past the cpu and chipset. Anyway, what is a good target case temperature? Thanks

Donovan

a rise of 4c isn't huge for the case itself but if you are concerned about the scsi drive temp then it might be worth moving to a 5 3/4" bay on mounts. even without a fan in front of it the additional space around will help cool it some.
    trout are freshwater fish and have underwater weapons
    trout are very valuable and immensely powerful
    keep away from the trout

It's more the idle case temp that's bothering me. It seems in the past I've had case temps more in the lower 30c range (other systems). I'm thinking this scsi drive is just doing a number on my overall case temp and I was curious what was considered a normal (avg) case temp.

yeah, its possible thats a reason for the case temps, mine are about 27-34c depending on the o/c, but i have a large case and had a few fans moving air. shifting that scsi drive might help dissipate some of the heat in there.
    keep away from the trout

Happy 4000th post ris. I guess maybe I'll try to find a bracket that I can use to put my scsi drive in the 5 1/4 slots. Maybe add a hard drive cooler. My case is so loud already though. I'm gonna go for one of those quiet cases next time around, which will be very soon!

not sure how a heat cooler for the harddrive would lower the case temps.... you would need more air comming in/out of the case to lower temps

I wasn't implying that the drive cooler in itsself would lower case temps, but it should stop the drive from running blistering hot. Then by putting the hard drive in the top 5 1/4" bay, the heat would already be at the very top of the case and get exhausted out via the power supply instead of rising past my cpu and chipset. It was just a thought. 43 degrees celsius seems way too high of a case temperature to me. BTW, I already have a second exhaust fan in addition to the ps fan, and an intake fan in the bottom front of my Super Power Landmark case. I'm using an old Golden Orb for the cpu cooler. I guess I'll make a sig with my specs for future reference.
    Last edited by Donovan; June 2nd, 2003 at 08:06 PM.

if the heat from the hdd is moving and has improved airflow then i think the case temps as a whole will reduce. my 7200rpm ibm drive was very hot to the touch when in the 3 1/2" bays. removing it from all the close metal and effectively allowing air movement all around it made it much improved.
    keep away from the trout

sig test

there

This is ridiculous. My temps are sitting at 59/49c now. Been running seti for several hours. Room temperature is probably only 67-68f right now too. Anyone ever had a case temp hit 50c?

not me, thats bakin dude

It mostly depends on where your case temperature sensor is positioned.

If the northbridge chipset is also acting as the temp sensor, then however hot your northbridge is, that is the reading you will get for your case temperature.

On my Abit KX7, the sensor is right down in the bottom corner of the board, and is covered by my sound card. I get 33'c since the ambient temperature has increased, but I used to get 28'c.
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

Forogot to add the mobo to my profile, duh. Anyone know where the system/case temp. might be on this one? (MSI 815E Pro / MS-6337 Pro). Couldn't find anything on a google search.

MSI MS-6337 Product Page

There is a link to the MSI Product page for the MS-6337. You can find the a downloadable manual, which should tell you the positioning of the sensors on the board. I know that most of the boards I have seen have some sort of diagram in the manual which shows the temperature sensors, so maybe it is worth a look.

Also, if you have the manual for your board, you could have a look in there.
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

Yeha, that's warm, dude. I'm having some of the same issues myself and all it's doing is pissing me off. I have tried everything I can short of punching holes in the case to bring the temps down.

Sounds like you have the same problem I have, not enough ventilation. How many case fans, in and out, do you have in there?
    If it has a CPU, an engine or a mini-skirt, I'm there.
    -------------
    ASUS P4GE-V
    P4 2530 S478
    512MB DDR PC2700
    ATI RADEON 9500Pro 128MB
    Toshiba DVDROM
    Lite-On 52X24X52
    2X WD 800JB SE 80GB

Thread Information